Recommended Classics books to read for Personal statement Watch

lizaeli
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
do you have any good classics books to read so i can include it in my personal statement
ut1geni0s
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
The Mysteries of Udolpho - Anne Radcliffe
The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger
Jane Eyre

they're just some examples of renowned classical novels
lizaeli
Rep:
?
(Original post by ut1geni0s)
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
The Mysteries of Udolpho - Anne Radcliffe
The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger
Jane Eyre

they're just some examples of renowned classical novels
do you recommend that i read a particular literature piece Ovid's Metamorphoses? Sorry i just realised that i have phrasesd my question wrong. I meant books written during Ancient Rome and Greece like the Odyssey and the Aeneid
StevetheIcecube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I mean you have to read the big ones - Odyssey, Iliad, Aeneid. Maybe read some poetry too, Romans were very keen on that I'm a fan of the plays, so maybe Antigone, stuff by Aeschylus and Euripides?
You could read some essays/online articles on those classics and put them in your personal statement too. Do the courses you're applying for include Ancient History? If so, get your hands on some Plutarch, that's probably most accessible.
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lizaeli)
do you have any good classics books to read so i can include it in my personal statement
Plato's Republic, The Symposium, and Phaedrus.
Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey.
Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
The Aeneid by Virgil
Oresteia by Aeschylus
History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides.
Kobisha
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hjbh
lizaeli
Rep:
?
(Original post by StevetheIcecube)
I mean you have to read the big ones - Odyssey, Iliad, Aeneid. Maybe read some poetry too, Romans were very keen on that I'm a fan of the plays, so maybe Antigone, stuff by Aeschylus and Euripides?
You could read some essays/online articles on those classics and put them in your personal statement too. Do the courses you're applying for include Ancient History? If so, get your hands on some Plutarch, that's probably most accessible.
For GCSE I read Ovid's metamorphoses and Antigone. And I'm AS I read the odyssey, women at the thesmophoria and also small passages in a unit called 'women in Athens and rome' . So far in A2 we have started reading Antigone and the Aeneid. In future we will be reading Oedipus the king (I think)-the story about Oedipus life and Medea and one more book.

Also for most of my courses i am applying for Classics and for Durham, Classical Studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Open Day – BPC, GDL, LPC and MA Law - Bristol campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 18 Jan '20
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (74)
15.01%
1 (68)
13.79%
2 (64)
12.98%
20.28%
20.28%
5 (87)
17.65%

Watched Threads