Maths. 4
History. A
Core science B (bcc)
Additional science (abb)
Geography B
Re B
Psychology B

So I am currently doing biology chemistry and psychology alevel

I started working hard from my first day and I have got a reputation within my friends too
I currently am in yr 12 and got a B in my recent biology test., a C in chemistry and an A in psychology

Would this allow me to get into medicine or not.
If not what other paths could I chose instead?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

that c in maths may ruin your chances , i advise retaking it
I really don't want to sound like a pessimist however medicine is an EXTREMELY competitive career. Many people who get straight A*'s at GCSE decide to go down this route. But I think with degree if you suddenly managed to get AAA at a level you'd be fine but I think you will struggle to get the top a level grades if you didn't achieve top grades at gcse as a level is on a completely different level to gcse, it is 100x harder and more work. But if you put all the work in from the start of your a levels and do a lot of revision and make sure you understand everything you may have a shot
Reply 3
Original post by Ray_Shadows
that c in maths may ruin your chances , i advise retaking it

Well basically I can’t since the college I go to don’t allow it
Reply 4
Yes but the thing is that my luck is not with me
I got a 6 in mocks math exam in year 11. This dropped

I was one mark of an overall A in additional science
One mark of an overall A* in history
And one mark of a 7 in Both English exams
So I don’t know what to do
Original post by naheem
Well basically I can’t since the college I go to don’t allow it

hmm that's odd , is it because you already passed it so they see no need , i got a c too but i'm retaking it to get higher , i'm afraid if you can't retake it , your chances for medicine are gonna be very very slim . Consider re sitting as a private candidate
Reply 6
If I do resit maths and I get a lower grade what would happen then
Original post by naheem
If I do resit maths and I get a lower grade what would happen then

i have no idea but i doubt you'll do worse judging by the other results u got , just ask about retaking it
Reply 8
My luck is never by my side mate if it was I would have got much better grades nearly all my exams were just a few marks of the above grade

I shall see tomorrow
You should really retake maths tbh
Reply 10
This is now a new question
If i resist maths when do the exams happen and do I get lessons
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by naheem
This is now a new question
If i resist maths when do the exams happen and do I get lessons

ok i hate to sound like a downer but it is a couple of weeks into term now , the first re sit is in november where colleges have now most likely put down applicant names , ask your tutor first thing tomorrow morning if you have a shot for the november exam , if not you will have to wait till the summer , and yes you do get lessons
Worst case you can do a years Access to HE bang out 60 distinctions. When I did mine people got into Cambridge colleges to do medicine.
Reply 13
Original post by JackBandicoot
Worst case you can do a years Access to HE bang out 60 distinctions. When I did mine people got into Cambridge colleges to do medicine.

What’s that all about. Can you expand on that
Original post by naheem
Yes but the thing is that my luck is not with me
I got a 6 in mocks math exam in year 11. This dropped

I was one mark of an overall A in additional science
One mark of an overall A* in history
And one mark of a 7 in Both English exams
So I don’t know what to do

You'd still have pretty weak gcses for a med applicant, do well at A levels and get good scores in UKCAT/BMAT take a gap year and apply with those strong A level grades and relevant work exp.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Mikasadoge
You'd still have pretty weak gcses for a med applicant, do well at A levels and get good scores in UKCAT/BMAT take a gap year and apply with those strong A level grades and relevant work exp.

What do you think should I redo maths then
Reply 16
check medicine foundation years
Original post by naheem
What do you think should I redo maths then

probably a good idea
Original post by naheem
What’s that all about. Can you expand on that

It's a one year higher education course offered by colleges for 'mature' students as a gateway into university, I think it usually costs but you can qualify for free if its your first Access course and there are lots of bursaries for them.

TSR has an entire section on HE you should check out. Look in the mature students forums :smile:.
Reply 19
Original post by JackBandicoot
It's a one year higher education course offered by colleges for 'mature' students as a gateway into university, I think it usually costs but you can qualify for free if its your first Access course and there are lots of bursaries for them.

TSR has an entire section on HE you should check out. Look in the mature students forums :smile:.

Thanks a lot. Thanks to all for advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending