Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and I have been asked when I would like to do my work experience at a GP. When do you all reckon is the best time to do it? (in my coming Christmas holidays, in the summer, any other time?)
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    don't know don't care

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter tbh as long as you make sure you write notes on what you did (no patient names or anything) so you can write about what you saw in your personal statement. Maybe go for summer as you won't have lots of revision to do? But not too near the time you plan to do your UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ismaeelzia)
    It doesn't matter tbh as long as you make sure you write notes on what you did (no patient names or anything) so you can write about what you saw in your personal statement. Maybe go for summer as you won't have lots of revision to do? But not too near the time you plan to do your UKCAT.
    Ok thanks - do you know where I could find any other advice for how to take advantage of work experience as I don't want to do the placement without much knowledge of what I'm actually doing (or if you have any advice? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellu)
    Ok thanks - do you know where I could find any other advice for how to take advantage of work experience as I don't want to do the placement without much knowledge of what I'm actually doing (or if you have any advice? )
    Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellu)
    Be 100% polite and introduce yourself to everyone (doctors, nurses, receptionists, etc) that you encounter. Ask questions whenever it is appropriate to do so - people will want to talk but only if they think that you are interested.

Your aim is to learn as much as you can while you're there about what it is like to work as a doctor. The key thing is to be an active observer and don't let yourself just drift off. Try to shadow a couple of GPs within the same practice - if you can - as there will be differences in how they consult.

Think about the big questions: what is difficult about the job? What is boring? What is fun? And think about the details: why does one GP collect patients from the waiting room and the other waits for them to knock? Do they ask open or closed questions? Which are better? Do they tell patients what to do or offer options and let them choose?

Make the most of any spare time you have with the GPs (lunch, patients not turning up, travelling to home visits, etc) - what is good/bad about their job? Would they do it again? What do they think about increasing privatisation of healthcare? Etc.

If you think, participate, and take careful notes, you will find yourself developing your own perspective and some good interview answers to:

Why do you want to be a doctor?
    What are some of the difficult things about being a doctor?
    What did you learn from your work experience?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.