Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know that even if there is no resultant force an object can be moving.... but i can't seem to wrap my head around the concept, can anyone explain?
    Thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyJade)
    I know that even if there is no resultant force an object can be moving.... but i can't seem to wrap my head around the concept, can anyone explain?
    Thanks!
    It's a universal observation:

At a fundamental level, things like forces (electromagnetism, nuclear forces, gravity) and atomic / sub-atomic particles like electrons, quarks etc. are accepted as simply existing. Like the universe exists. A consequence of the currently held Big Bang theory.

Science cannot answer why the universe exists and therefore why the forces or particles within it exist. But we do still observe their existence and how things behave.

Science observes and makes predictions. The observations are distilled into mathematical formula and used to predict how matter behaves under all conditions.

One of the observations made by Newton 400 years ago is: "that an object will continue in it's straight line of motion or state of rest unless acted upon by an external force." He did not know why, only that it confirmed his observation.

That statement is good enough for humans to send probes to every planet and even beyond our solar system.

Einstein found gaps with Newton's laws (for instance when an object approaches the speed of light) for which predictions using Newton's laws, fail. So he came up with the theory of Special Relativity and General Relativity which, so far, has not been contradicted by observation.

But if it ever was, a new theory to fit observation would be needed............such is the method of science.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.