Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i honestly dont know how to revise for english i struggle on English a lot especially literature because we have to memories so much quotes and so much content is needed.My English teacher cant teach and barely comes to school we always have a supply so we have to learn our selves literally all the times.
    Anyone got any strategies or any advice for revising English please let me know because i got a mock coming up soon on October the 17 for both English literature and language and i need to ace this.

ReputationRep:
    I got two grade 9's for English. I got full marks in 1 language and 1 lit paper but a 9 in all 4. I am now doing English lit for one of my a levels. I have recently set up a YouTube channel which I'm planning to use to help with GCSE's especially English. I have grade 9 essay plans for every character, theme & poem that could have possibly come up and many full mark practice essays. I am also thinking about doing online tutoring for a very low cost

ReputationRep:
    What texts and poetry cluster are you doing?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's all about practice. I personally would recommend you to have a look at Mr Bruff on youtube because his videos can help you understand a lot about answering questions. English literature is all about your skills so try to read 1 extract a day and just annotate it with points in 10-15 minutes. This way, when you come to the exam, you will be able to identify what you wanna talk about.

For english literature, it's all about memorising quotes. I did this by making flashcards and writing them out. Also, trying to roleplay the extract in your mind can help a lot. Other than this, it's all about explaining how your quotes are linked to the topic of discussion so try and link different themes and ideas within the text to the quotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missbekahxo)
    What texts and poetry cluster are you doing?
    power and conflict
    Frankenstein
    Macbeth
    animal farm

ReputationRep:
    I have grade 9 essay plans for every theme & character for Romeo & Juliet, an Inspector Calls & Frankenstein
    Also for the power and conflict poems
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello, You seem like you know what you are talking about, is there a way you could give me some advice on English literature, Christmas carol perhaps. I write like a grade 3 but I speak like a grade 9, however, all my other grades are 9's so this is the last resort atm

ReputationRep:
    I have grade 9 essay plans for every theme & character for Romeo & Juliet, an Inspector Calls & Frankenstein
    Also for the power and conflict poems
    hi, i'm currently doing an inspector calls and conflict poems for gcse and i really need some help. is there any way you could please send me these plans? thanks

ReputationRep:
    People can contact me through my second email [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    I got two grade 9's for English. I got full marks in 1 language and 1 lit paper but a 9 in all 4. I am now doing English lit for one of my a levels. I have recently set up a YouTube channel which I'm planning to use to help with GCSE's especially English. I have grade 9 essay plans for every character, theme & poem that could have possibly come up and many full mark practice essays. I am also thinking about doing online tutoring for a very low cost
    Whats your youtube channel called if you dont mind me asking? Xxxx

ReputationRep:
    My Rebekah Brown. One of my videos is 'how to get a grade 9 in gcse English literature'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusuf.3)
    Hello, You seem like you know what you are talking about, is there a way you could give me some advice on English literature, Christmas carol perhaps. I write like a grade 3 but I speak like a grade 9, however, all my other grades are 9's so this is the last resort atm
    Same I'm struggling with A Christmas Carol for eng lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.N123)
    Whats your youtube channel called if you dont mind me asking? Xxxx
    Rebekah Brown

ReputationRep:
    Got a grade 8 for Language and 7 for Lit at GCSE's. I think I can help!
    For the poetry anthology, don't revise every single poem! Have a basic knowledge of them, but you don't need all of them at revision. I had Love and Relationships and I separated it into two types of love (Parental/Romantic) then revised 3 for each. This means you have a basic awareness of the poems but some at a deeper level. Linking to Language, revise literary techniques (form, devices etc..) to analyse the extract poem and the unseen poetry. Poetry has the most marks too out of every Lit question.
    For the novels/Shakespeare, it's important to get key quotes for characters and again, understand key themes. Possibly link quotes to themes too. Context will really help too! If you can relate, for example A Christmas Carol, to the Poor Laws/Malthusian Economics, you'll get some good marks there. Shakespeare is the only one out of the novels/plays that will have an extract. Use it, but make sure to incorporate further knowledge of the play (same with the other ones but you won't have an extract), it shows understanding which gets some really good marks too.
    Language is actually the hardest to revise, as they can throw any extract at you. Have a good awareness of forms and literary devices so you can analyse the way the author conveys their points (eg. do they use a comedic narrative voice? Do they use rhetorical questions?) For the creative question (specifically narrative/descriptive) my teacher said descriptive is easier, but if you have a knack for narrative, don't feel held back! Narrative requires a consistent flow to the story, and descriptive can have narrative elements but don't fully focus on a narrative (For example, do an overview of the image, then zoom into different aspects.)
    I can't stress for every subject the importance of past papers! Despite how tiresome it could be to do practice after practice, it shows you how the questions are phrased, marked, and the type of questions they have. Language will always have the same type of questions (two on sources separate/a comparison question on sources/ A creative writing question). If you can answer a past paper well, you can do the mock/GCSE no doubt!

But right now remember that these are just mocks. Do your hardest, no doubt, but use it as a stepping stone to learn how to improve up to GCSE's! Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.