Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students with low GCSEs at top unis for medicine Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    My school has told us to start to do some research into what university we would like to go.
    I have looked at unis which dont require all A*s but i was wondering if anyone with low GCSEs got into a top uni (russell group /red brick). I just want to know it is possible and should i bother applying to any of the top unis

thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightbulb22)
    Hi everyone,
    My school has told us to start to do some research into what university we would like to go.
    I have looked at unis which dont require all A*s but i was wondering if anyone with low GCSEs got into a top uni (russell group /red brick). I just want to know it is possible and should i bother applying to any of the top unis

thanks
    Most unis don't worry about your GCSEs and are far more concerned with your A levels so I would worry about those.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

thanks
    I'm not in medicane but I'm in a top 10 uni without a single A @ GCSE if that helps...

That said, in my day with had something called AS levels with which unis could decide if you were capable...

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

thanks
    All medical schools will give you what you need to become a doctor. That whole Russell Group mumbo jumbo isn't relevant to you, even if you were going for a non-medicine degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

thanks
    It really doesn't matter what university you go to especially for medicine as you will end up in a F1 job no matter where you graduate from.

My advice would be to look at learning styles different universities use. These are traditional, PBL and integrated. See which one you would prefer the most and apply to those universities, provided you meet entry requirements.
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Most unis don't worry about your GCSEs and are far more concerned with your A levels so I would worry about those.
    In the case of medicine, this isn't true. There's a significant amount of universites which favour high GCSE results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)

In the case of medicine, this isn't true. There's a significant amount of universites which favour high GCSE results
    Which unis look at GCSE if you want to do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxxvatxxX)
    Almost all of them look at them to an extent and have a basic requirement - like a minimum B grade in GCSE English Language and Maths. They all have their own admissions policies.

Oxford applicants are scored on a GCSE score and most people have 10 A*'s. Birmingham likes to see 7-8 A*. Cardiff and I believe Edinburgh like to see 7 A* +
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Hi everyone,

thanks
    Top uni does not mean anything in Medicine - you will end up a doctor wherever you go. You will need fairly good GCSEs for most Medical Schools and I can't think of any Medical School that requires all A*s at GCSE. They will be very much advantageous at places like Oxford, but they're not really a requirement. Imperial don't have any GCSE requirements for Medicine, so look into places like that if your GCSEs aren't that strong.
    • Study Helper

All of them except Imperial.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry but you're misinformed there. Most unis say this openly on their websites and reiterate this through various channels. They take them into account contextually but not as part of their offers per se.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I'm sorry but you're misinformed there. Most unis say this openly on their websites and reiterate this through various channels. They take them into account contextually but not as part of their offers per se.
    I didn't say they were part of your offer.

Apologies if I wasn't clear. By "high" GCSEs I meant relatively compared to average GCSEs - not like 10A*s

All I'm saying is that they have a big role during the admissions process at some universities and you need some basic requirement at all of them bar Imperial. You seemed to imply that they don't matter in your original post hence I made the point.

ReputationRep:
    Almost all of them look at them to an extent and have a basic requirement - like a minimum B grade in GCSE English Language and Maths. They all have their own admissions policies.

Oxford applicants are scored on a GCSE score and most people have 10 A*'s. Birmingham likes to see 7-8 A*. Cardiff and I believe Edinburgh like to see 7 A* +
    Oh wow, I really want to do Medicine at Oxford so it's good to know that atleast my GCSE are kinda above average? 11 A* if 10 is like the average? I'm not too
    sure haha, just need to focus on A Levels now I guess

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I really want to do Medicine at Oxford so it's good to know that atleast my GCSE are kinda above average? 11 A* if 10 is like the average? I'm not too
    sure haha, just need to focus on A Levels now I guess
    Don't forget doing well in the BMAT

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget doing well in the BMAT
    Ah yes, is it too early to atleast look at BMAT papers right now if I am in Year 12?

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, is it too early to atleast look at BMAT papers right now if I am in Year 12?
    Yeah. Look at them during the summer break.

It's GCSE biology chemistry physics and maths so if you've done those subjects to AS you should be good in terms of the science section

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got into Liverpool med with 2A*, a few As and Bs and one C this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totodile)
    I know someone who got into Liverpool med with 2A*, a few As and Bs and one C this year
    WhaT was the C in

ReputationRep:

Just isn't true anymore. They've changed their admissions process and my combined GCSE + UKCAT score was above their 'estimated cut off'/10. I don't even have 1A*. Yes my UKCAT is crazy high but still the weighting on GCSEs is now 70% and UKCAT 30% for them.

(Original post by usycool1)
    All of them except Imperial.
    Again, just not true is it. Exeter, Newcastle etc don't care at all as long as you got Bs in Eng Lang and Maths I think.

Also, OP, I got 4/4 offers without a single A* at GCSE so it's doable.

geezer
    • Study Helper

(Original post by sortmeoutgeezer)
    Again, just not true is it. Exeter, Newcastle etc don't care at all as long as you got Bs in Eng Lang and Maths I think.

geezer
    The person asked which Medical Schools LOOK at GCSEs; not which ones have low requirements or whatever. Imperial are the only ones that don't even look at them.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sortmeoutgeezer)
    Just isn't true anymore. They've changed their admissions process and my combined GCSE + UKCAT score was above their 'estimated cut off'/10. I don't even have 1A*. Yes my UKCAT is crazy high but still the weighting on GCSEs is now 70% and UKCAT 30% for them.
    What is your UKCAT? Must be crazy high if you've only got one A* at GCSE.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.