Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A-level Sciences Exam Technique watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi could someone give me an insight into what to expect from OCR A-level physics/chemistry exams. What I mean is stuff like structure, types of questions and any advise you'd give as well.
    I don't want to look at the past papers so they're fresh for mocks and revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkylineS4)
    Hi could someone give me an insight into what to expect from OCR A-level physics/chemistry exams. What I mean is stuff like structure, types of questions and any advise you'd give as well.
    I don't want to look at the past papers so they're fresh for mocks and revision.
    A lot of the questions will be assessing your ability to apply your knowledge to unfamiliar concepts; therefore make sure your knowledge of content is very good 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing GCE OCR Physics A then Modelling physics and Exploring physics both have two sections.

Section A consisting only of multiple choice questions and Section B consisting only of structured questions.

Answer Section B first because each question carries more marks for the same level of difficulty as in Section A. Section A questions don't reward marks for your working so you either get it right or wrong. However, in Section B you get marks for your working. Also, Section A questions can be of the same difficulty as a 3 to 4 mark question in Section B but you only get one mark for it. Furthermore, if you're running out of time in the exam you can make an educated guess for Section A but probably not for Section B.

ReputationRep:
    Well not doing at the past papers is a horrible idea.
    If you want to keep the mock fresh, just don’t practice the most recent ones. Do practice the ones earlier on (like 2016 and before) because after the mock exams it maybe too late.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.