Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good evening,

short version of story : I am an EU student. I accidentaly applied with "divorced" marital status eventhough I am "single", never been maried. Now I can't change it to single through website or student finance call center.

long version :

I am a Polish citizen currently living in UK for 10 years. I have no ties back to Poland.

I applied to student loan and I got a notification to show proof that I am divorced. The problem is, I am never married and I should be listed as single. I can't change my marital status through student loan page because there is no way to do that on website. As well when I call the number they didn't help me change it.

How can I prove myself single, not divorced without going back to Poland or going to embassy? I can't go to embassy because you need to get an appointment first and earliest they give is mid November. That's too late, I would be dropped out from university by that time. Please give advices to how can I change my marital status quickly and prove to them?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Nataliator)
    Good evening,

short version of story : I am an EU student. I accidentaly applied with "divorced" marital status eventhough I am "single", never been maried. Now I can't change it to single through website or student finance call center.

long version :

I am a Polish citizen currently living in UK for 10 years. I have no ties back to Poland.

I applied to student loan and I got a notification to show proof that I am divorced. The problem is, I am never married and I should be listed as single. I can't change my marital status through student loan page because there is no way to do that on website. As well when I call the number they didn't help me change it.

How can I prove myself single, not divorced without going back to Poland or going to embassy? I can't go to embassy because you need to get an appointment first and earliest they give is mid November. That's too late, I would be dropped out from university by that time. Please give advices to how can I change my marital status quickly and prove to them?

Hi Nataliator,

The system will not allow you to change your marital status online

If a student indicates the wrong marital status on the application in error, they will still have to provide evidence in order to prove their actual marital status.

The easiest item to send is a clear copy of your most recent Council Tax Bill showing a 25% single person occupancy discount.

or

A Signed Affidavit* - a sworn declaration they make in writing describing facts that they wish to state as true. They typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor

If you do not have the standard evidence you can send clear copies of the following

• Tenancy agreement or mortgage statement in their own name only and
    • 2 utility bills in their own name only, dated within the last 6 months and
    • Current council tax bill

Send in as much evidence as possible to help prove you live on their own. This should be accompanied by a covering letter explaining why they are unable to provide the standard evidence. Assessors will be unable to process evidence without a covering letter giving an explanation on why the cannot provide the standard evidence.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.