Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I have a few queries and I've searched around the internet, but I just need a clearer picture about this. I did my GCSE's in 2012 so it's been 5 years and I don't know completely how the new curriculum works and all. My brother wants to sit his GCSEs privately, I'll be teaching him and so I just wanted to know what changes have been made.

He needs to do 5 GCSEs in total, so English Maths and Science only. Is the double award still in place? Or is triple science the best thing for him to do since he needs a total of 5 GCSE's and 3 will come from triple science. Please could you fill me in with all the info you guys have, I'd really appreciate that.

Oh and he will be sitting the AQA board if that helps!

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Double Science lives to fight another day on the new 9-1 spec, but Single Science does not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carbon Dioxide)
    Double Science lives to fight another day on the new 9-1 spec, but Single Science does not.
    So they don't do single sciences on the new system? What about additional science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicbeans.)
    So they don't do single sciences on the new system? What about additional science?
    I think you've misinterpreted the above slightly, they meant that single award science is no longer an option, the two routes are double and triple award. If your brother needs 5 GCSEs, then sitting Triple Science may be the way to go, however do note that Triple Award contains harder content on top of the content that overlaps with double.

ReputationRep:
    If he takes Maths, English Language (there is no English any more, just English Language and English Literature as separate subjects), Biology Chemistry and Physics then they would all be on the new 9-1 specifications. The only 'coursework' involved is the Speaking and Listening endorsement for Eng Lang. How you do does not affect the final grade but you get an endorsement (Distinction, merit etc) for it alongside the overall grade. YOu'd have to find an exam that would accept him as a private candidate for all the exams and be willing to conduct the S&L.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicbeans.)
    Hey guys!

I have a few queries and I've searched around the internet, but I just need a clearer picture about this. I did my GCSE's in 2012 so it's been 5 years and I don't know completely how the new curriculum works and all. My brother wants to sit his GCSEs privately, I'll be teaching him and so I just wanted to know what changes have been made.

He needs to do 5 GCSEs in total, so English Maths and Science only. Is the double award still in place? Or is triple science the best thing for him to do since he needs a total of 5 GCSE's and 3 will come from triple science. Please could you fill me in with all the info you guys have, I'd really appreciate that.

Oh and he will be sitting the AQA board if that helps!

Thank you
    why is he sitting them privately? Is he homeschooled??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.