K-Pg Extinction Theories

Watch this thread
tjulien
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm doing an EPQ at school on the different theories for the K-Pg extinction and was wondering what different theories are out there. I know about the mains ones such as the asteroid impact and volcanism theories but i'd like to know about some of the less well known ones. So if anyone has any along with any evidence/info i'd be very grateful!!

Thankyou :-)
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tjulien)
I'm doing an EPQ at school on the different theories for the K-Pg extinction and was wondering what different theories are out there. I know about the mains ones such as the asteroid impact and volcanism theories but i'd like to know about some of the less well known ones. So if anyone has any along with any evidence/info i'd be very grateful!!

Thankyou :-)
The Impactor and Volcanism theories are the two main theories and as far as I'm aware, they're the only theories taken particularly seriously in mainstream geoscience. One thing you may be interested in exploring is the possible link between the two because there was a paper published a few years ago in Science that suggested the Chicxulub impact may have triggered a change in the style of volcanism in the Deccan Traps (I know at least one academic who doesn't think very highly of that paper but it's an interesting idea nonetheless).

I'd be wary of spending too much time worrying about other theories because as I say, these are the only theories which are taken particularly seriously within the geoscience community and there is plenty to write about them. Nonetheless, the Wikipedia article for the K-Pg has references (with links) to other hypotheses for the extinction event.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads