Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

York Notes, Mr Bruff or CGP? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been meaning to buy some textbooks for my GCSE English Literature and Language, and I'm unsure as to which one would be the best.
    I'd like to just choose one out of these for all of my Literature books and for English Language, but I could buy two.
    My exam board is AQA.
    If you've used any of these, please can you tell me what your opinions of them were, and how good they were in terms of revision, and which one you prefer?

Thank you so much for your help!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hey there. I used CGP and Mr Bruff and can safely say they are worth the money. I don't know about york notes but Mr Bruff was really helpful in terms of context and the indepth analysis while the CGP textbooks were good for me as I was able to read them a few days the exam and go through the main points rather than reading the entire text.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I haven't used CGP for English but I have for all my sciences and they're great- they're really concise and clear. I've used Mr Bruff's youtube videos for English Lit (poetry) and he was really good but I haven't looked at the books. When I asked my english teacher how to revise for english lit she suggested york notes and said that they were really good. I haven't checked them out myself but she's been a teacher for forever and has been a marker for gcse english so she should know what she's doing.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Mr Bruff + Mr Salles Teaches English (Youtube) = Grade 9

ReputationRep:
    Hi I got A* GCSE Lit and Lang, A at AS Lit and A* A2, all from York Notes, teachers notes, and my own thoughts. Although a lot of people say Mr Bruff is really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by densestudent)
    I've been meaning to buy some textbooks for my GCSE English Literature and Language, and I'm unsure as to which one would be the best.
    I'd like to just choose one out of these for all of my Literature books and for English Language, but I could buy two.
    My exam board is AQA.
    If you've used any of these, please can you tell me what your opinions of them were, and how good they were in terms of revision, and which one you prefer?

Thank you so much for your help!
    I wouldn’t recommend buying textbooks for language. I would recommend buying York notes book for your lit texts...if you are struggling with language then ask your teacher to help
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'd say use York note in conjunction with Mr Bruff's youtube videos. I only got a 6, but I was never good at English anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend CGP and Mr Bruffs videos. Pretty good but don't rely solely on them.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.