York Notes, Mr Bruff or CGP? Watch

densestudent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've been meaning to buy some textbooks for my GCSE English Literature and Language, and I'm unsure as to which one would be the best.
I'd like to just choose one out of these for all of my Literature books and for English Language, but I could buy two.
My exam board is AQA.
If you've used any of these, please can you tell me what your opinions of them were, and how good they were in terms of revision, and which one you prefer?

Thank you so much for your help!
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey there. I used CGP and Mr Bruff and can safely say they are worth the money. I don't know about york notes but Mr Bruff was really helpful in terms of context and the indepth analysis while the CGP textbooks were good for me as I was able to read them a few days the exam and go through the main points rather than reading the entire text.
i_solemnly_swear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,
I haven't used CGP for English but I have for all my sciences and they're great- they're really concise and clear. I've used Mr Bruff's youtube videos for English Lit (poetry) and he was really good but I haven't looked at the books. When I asked my english teacher how to revise for english lit she suggested york notes and said that they were really good. I haven't checked them out myself but she's been a teacher for forever and has been a marker for gcse english so she should know what she's doing.
Hope this helps!
eggyeol
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mr Bruff + Mr Salles Teaches English (Youtube) = Grade 9
username3046368
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I got A* GCSE Lit and Lang, A at AS Lit and A* A2, all from York Notes, teachers notes, and my own thoughts. Although a lot of people say Mr Bruff is really good.
alfie0101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by densestudent)
I've been meaning to buy some textbooks for my GCSE English Literature and Language, and I'm unsure as to which one would be the best.
I'd like to just choose one out of these for all of my Literature books and for English Language, but I could buy two.
My exam board is AQA.
If you've used any of these, please can you tell me what your opinions of them were, and how good they were in terms of revision, and which one you prefer?

Thank you so much for your help!
I wouldn’t recommend buying textbooks for language. I would recommend buying York notes book for your lit texts...if you are struggling with language then ask your teacher to help
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
thegalaxy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd say use York note in conjunction with Mr Bruff's youtube videos. I only got a 6, but I was never good at English anyway.
hellomellow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would recommend CGP and Mr Bruffs videos. Pretty good but don't rely solely on them.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (162)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.89%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise