Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I am a current Year 13 student who is thinking of applying for Engineering at Cambridge University. For my A levels I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I study at an ordinary state school which is actually regarded to be below 40% standard by some universities- e.g. Bristol
    For my GCSEs I got 10A*s and 2 As including an A^ in Further Maths GCSE. I only did external exams for Maths and Further Maths as these are still modular but I did internal exams for Physics and Chemistry

Here is my Maths and Further Maths ums:
    C1- 100
    C2-100
    M1-100
    M2-95
    S1-100
    FP1-73

As you can see my FP1 performance is really poor compared to my other modules and I was very disappointed as I just had a bad day when I sat the exam and panicked ( (I'd always been getting close to or exactly 100ums in the mock exams for fp1). Unfortunately the 100 ums for M2 was capped at full marks (75 marks) and since I did this module a year early without doing C3 and C4 I lost 2 crucial marks which required using trig identities from C3 and C4 so I got 72/75.

My predicted grades are A*A*A*A* for all subjects and I am confident I can do it for maths and further maths as I only need to average 175 ums over 2 more further modules and get like 40 ums in the other one for an A*. I did internal exams for Chemistry and Physics where I got solid As (highest in my class for both subjects)- 143/160 Chemistry (A was 103/160) and 122/140 for physics (A was like 83/140). Is it worth mentioning about my FP1 performance and not getting 100ums for M2 in the SAQ?

I was wondering what you guys in TSR think about me applying to Cambridge for Engineering and whether it would be suitable for me to do so considering how bad my FP1 went; I am hoping they will notice it as an anomaly.

Thanks guys
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymouspsych)
    Hey guys

I am a current Year 13 student who is thinking of applying for Engineering at Cambridge University. For my A levels I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I study at an ordinary state school which is actually regarded to be below 40% standard by some universities- e.g. Bristol
    For my GCSEs I got 10A*s and 2 As including an A^ in Further Maths GCSE. I only did external exams for Maths and Further Maths as these are still modular but I did internal exams for Physics and Chemistry

C1- 100
    C2-100
    M1-100
    M2-95
    S1-100
    FP1-73

As you can see my FP1 performance is really poor compared to my other modules and I was very disappointed as I just had a bad day when I sat the exam and panicked ( (I'd always been getting close to or exactly 100ums in the mock exams for fp1). Unfortunately the 100 ums for M2 was capped at full marks (75 marks) and since I did this module a year early without doing C3 and C4 I lost 2 crucial marks which required using trig identities from C3 and C4 so I got 72/75.

My predicted grades are A*A*A*A* for all subjects and I am confident I can do it for maths and further maths as I only need to average 175 ums over 2 more further modules and get like 40 ums in the other one for an A*. I did internal exams for Chemistry and Physics where I got solid As (highest in my class for both subjects)- 143/160 Chemistry (A was 103/160) and 122/140 for physics (A was like 83/140). Is it worth mentioning about my FP1 performance and not getting 100ums for M2 in the SAQ?

I was wondering what you guys in TSR think about me applying to Cambridge for Engineering and whether it would be suitable for me to do so considering how bad my FP1 went; I am hoping they will notice it as an anomaly.

Thanks guys
    Correct. One poor module will not be a major problem.

ReputationRep:
    From what I recall your UMS are equal/better than mine and I'm doing Engineering at Cambridge
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymouspsych)
    Hey guys

C1- 100
    C2-100
    M1-100
    M2-95
    S1-100
    FP1-73

Thanks guys
    Hi,

It's pretty obvious that FP1 is an anomaly and you'd be likely to be invited to interview. Your M1 and M2 scores are good and we consider these the most important for Engineering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.