Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hooke's Law Mark Scheme - can you explain this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screenshot_82.png
Views: 11
Size:  119.4 KB
    Attachment 694266694268

The first line of the mark scheme says plastic, but then it suggests that you'd get marks for stating any of them and explaining it? Is that right?

If you'd only get marks for saying plastic, why would it be more likely to demonstrate plastic behaviour rather than tough behaviour? Surely it would need to be both tough and elastic and plastic? Which would be most likely and why?
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vector12)

The first line of the mark scheme says plastic, but then it suggests that you'd get marks for stating any of them and explaining it? Is that right?

If you'd only get marks for saying plastic, why would it be more likely to demonstrate plastic behaviour rather than tough behaviour? Surely it would need to be both tough and elastic and plastic? Which would be most likely and why?
    For part i). two marks are awarded for the correct answer and an appropriate description. One mark is awarded for an incorrect choice as long as it is accompanied by a correct description for that choice.

The second paragraph of the question states that "Hard body armour gives more protection but is heavier and does not give any flexibility of movement.

That rules out ductile and elastic.

The properties for the body armour need to be strong and tough but also balanced with weight. i.e. medium density. Comparing materials for strength and toughness, polymers (generic plastic) are the closest match. e.g. polycarbonate, nylon etc. An even better choice are composite materials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    For part i). two marks are awarded for the correct answer and an appropriate description. One mark is awarded for an incorrect choice as long as it is accompanied by a correct description for that choice.

The second paragraph of the question states that "Hard body armour gives more protection but is heavier and does not give any flexibility of movement.

That rules out ductile and elastic.

The properties for the body armour need to be strong and tough but also balanced with weight. i.e. medium density. Comparing materials for strength and toughness, polymers (generic plastic) are the closest match. e.g. polycarbonate, nylon etc. An even better choice are composite materials.

So you could have said tough or plastic and defined it? Is that right?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    So you could have said tough or plastic and defined it? Is that right?
    The answer required plastic with a correct definition for full marks.

Tough with a definition would give 1 mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    The answer required plastic with a correct definition for full marks.

Tough with a definition would give 1 mark.
    Thank you. Why would the answer require plastic and not tough?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Why would the answer require plastic and not tough?
    I suggest It comes down to the choice of material including weight and flexibility of movement as defined by the question.

It's a bit ambiguous I agree, as plastic describes both the material properties and the material composition. My reading is that the mark scheme inadvertently requires both to be considered.

Tough materials can range from rubbers to metals to plastics. I.e. tough does not tie down the requirements for the body armour to be light as well. Some exam questions can be ambiguous at the best of times.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.