Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me the method to finding out the intercepts of quadratic equations such as 6x^2+4x+9=0

ReputationRep:
    someone help plz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madi24)
    Can someone please tell me the method to finding out the intercepts of quadratic equations such as x^2+14x+49=0
    You can factorise the quadratic you mentioned above:

(x+7)^2=0

From this you can see that the x intercept would involve a repeated root which is -7

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    what should i do to find the y intercept?

ReputationRep:
    for y just calculate f(0) so it's 9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndreiMiron)
    for y just calculate f(0) so it's 9
    Way easier method, it's the constant term at the end of the quadratic (the one with no x).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmmarTa)
    Way easier method, it's the constant term at the end of the quadratic (the one with no x).
    basically that's what f(0) is ... 6* 0^2 + 4*0 +9

ReputationRep:
    basically that's what f(0) ...
    Yes but manually calculating f(0) is so much longer if you do the working out / put it in a calculator. Plus looking at the constant term and being able to identify it as the y-intercept is very useful in later maths as you can use it when working with unknown factors in maths at a higher level:
    x^2+ax+5=
    root is -5, find other root
    therefore can be re-written as (x+5)(x+a)
    5a = 5 as 5 * a gives the constant term 5, therefore a = 5/5 = 1
    (x+5)(x+1)=0
    x+1 = 0, x = -1

ReputationRep:
    basically that's what f(0) is ... 6* 0^2 + 4*0 +9
    You're still right though, I'm not bashing your method as it's perfectly acceptable - just pointing out an alternative.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but manually calculating f(0) is so much longer if you do the working out / put it in a calculator.
    No it isn't... it's the exact same thing. Most people can look at 6*0 and immediately see it's 0, I'm not sure how long that takes you to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No it isn't... it's the exact same thing. Most people can look at 6*0 and immediately see it's 0, I'm not sure how long that takes you to do.
    Yeah that's true , just a longer process than instant identification of the term though. But that's my own personal opinion so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but manually calculating f(0) is so much longer if you do the working out / put it in a calculator. Plus looking at the constant term and being able to identify it as the y-intercept is very useful in later maths as you can use it when working with unknown factors in maths at a higher level:
    x^2+ax+5=
    root is -5, find other root
    therefore can be re-written as (x+5)(x+a)
    5a = 5 as 5 * a gives the constant term 5, therefore a = 5/5 = 1
    (x+5)(x+1)=0
    x+1 = 0, x = -1
    even if your polynomial has parameters it still doesn't matter 0*a , a being a complex number is always 0 ... and why would you ever put such an expression in a calculator

ReputationRep:
    even if your polynomial has parameters it still doesn't matter 0*a , a being a complex number is always 0 ... and why would you ever put such an expression in a calculator
    a is never stated to be complex in the question?

ReputationRep:
    I was pointing the fact that even if it was it wouldn't matter and it obviously applies to real numbers as C includes R
    Oh alright, sorry about that but it'd be interesting to see a polynomial with imaginary coeffiicients! I've never personally come across one.

ReputationRep:
    I was pointing the fact that even if it was it wouldn't matter and it obviously applies to real numbers as C includes R
    This is all a bit cringe.

the fact that when a parameter type is not specified you have to use the largest possible set
    No??? lmao where do you pull this crap from?

so it would be the set of complex numbers
    There is no largest possible set. It is obvious that for any set A you can get to a strictly larger set (in cardinality) by taking it's power set. So no, the complex numbers are not the largest possible set, there are infinitely many sets that are 'larger'. If you want to restrict to number fields, then the octonions or some other similar object would be your "larger" set.

tl;dr your post is mostly nonsense

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.