Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help: Gave her overdose medication Watch

(Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Okay, youve acknowledged your mistake (I assume a dosing error) and should tell your manager this. I'd suggest drawing up a plan on how to reduce this risk and liking to explain this to the manager and the daughter if possible. Human error is inevitable and show you intend to reduce the risk.

Apologise to the patient, forget the daughter, say to the patient how sorry you are and that you miscounted in error, and theres no long term damage. Also that you've spoken to the manager.

Either the manager goes to bat with you, or more likely he will try to pin it on individual errors. If so then yes, he may sack you. Sorry.

If that happens, make sure you say to people that you were asked to administer medication unsupervised and that rather than fix the error, the boss just fired you. If you know anyone working for the agency, warn them.

Sorry.

What happens when a person gets sacked? since i am relitevely new to the job role(i have never been a carer before) what will happen to me? will i still be able to get another job as a carer, in the care sector or any other jobs irrelelevant to care work.

(Original post by doodle_333)
    I would be surprised if they didn't sack you. Making a mistake with medication is about as bad it is gets (aside from actual abuse) so it's very serious and you always have to be really careful with meds. The other side of this problem is that there should have been a safeguarding procedure in place which you followed immediately - that's NOT just leaving it for the family member. You should have called NHS 111 and immediately received advice about the consequences of the overdose, followed their instructions and then filled in an incident report with your employer. That sounds over the top but in a care role you have to be SO vigilant to cover your own back because your employer isn't going to help you if you've made a mistake. I was a care worker and we had to follow this procedure for ANY irregularity, I've called an ambulance out for a small banged head. Because this isn't your life, it's someone elses and they're probably not able to make decisions to protect themselves - so you have to do it for them.

The best thing you can do is call your employer and inform them and apologise but I doubt it will change the consequences.

I called my agency. The woman on the phone(not the normal person who pick the phone up) said i have to be careful and moreover i should be supervised etc. She took it cool and spoke softly.

I am obviously not taking her response lightly as she could by any chance pass this information to the head manager as what i did is definitely unjustifiable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    yeah i addmited.

it was my mistsake my mind was jut not there when i administered it.
    It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. And normally what is required is for the action to be logged and for the patient to be closely monitored.

At the moment, until you know what is going to happen, there is no point in worrying - just make sure it never happens again.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.