The Student Room Group

Struggling

So I'm really struggling to enjoy geography A-level. I honestly feel so depressed even thinking about it and it's gotten to the point where I just don't turn up if I'm not feeling like ruining my mood. But the issue is: I've loved geography since year 7 and at GCSE's and I don't really want to drop it but I feel like i should. And I wouldn't know what to pick instead (it's kinda late anyways).

So should I tough this out and see if it gets better or should I just drop it? I'm honestly so conflicted
(edited 6 years ago)
How many A-levels do you do? If you are struggling to enjoy it, have you tried to switch onto another course? In terms of what you could switch to, it depends on your interests and what subjects you are studying now.

If you do more that 3 currently, you could carry on to see if things improve, and then drop it as an AS at the end of the year if you still feel the same way.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
How many A-levels do you do? If you are struggling to enjoy it, have you tried to switch onto another course? In terms of what you could switch to, it depends on your interests and what subjects you are studying now.

If you do more that 3 currently, you could carry on to see if things improve, and then drop it as an AS at the end of the year if you still feel the same way.

I only do 3 that's the problem.I didn't want to do 4 because i thought it'd be too much work.
If you talk to your teachers then you might be able to convince them to switch you onto another course. However, you would face a lot of catching up to do, but it sounds like your college does linear A levels, so a month might not count for much.

If you don’t know what else you would do, however, then you may well end up with the same problem. I’d recommend talking to your teachers, if they think you’re not going to do well and you’re not enjoying it then you have little to loose. If you do change, I recommend taking something that you enjoy that you’re good at, so at the very least you’re not jeopardising your grades.

Hope you feel better about it all soon. The first few months are hard, and it won’t get easier, but you will get more used to it.
Reply 4
Original post by ElanortheHobbit
If you talk to your teachers then you might be able to convince them to switch you onto another course. However, you would face a lot of catching up to do, but it sounds like your college does linear A levels, so a month might not count for much.

If you don’t know what else you would do, however, then you may well end up with the same problem. I’d recommend talking to your teachers, if they think you’re not going to do well and you’re not enjoying it then you have little to loose. If you do change, I recommend taking something that you enjoy that you’re good at, so at the very least you’re not jeopardising your grades.

Hope you feel better about it all soon. The first few months are hard, and it won’t get easier, but you will get more used to it.

I've already talked to both my geography teachers and they said they know i'll do well and they don't want me to drop it but they said if I really want to drop it then I should. They're willing to help me and they've even organised a meeting kind of thing with a year 13 student who had the same kinda thoughts as I am having now.

I wouldn't really know what to take. I initially took geography because I liked it so much at GCSE and my teachers are pretty sure it's just the topic adn I'll like the rest of it.

Thank you. I think I just need to go away and think about it. I might just tough it out and see what happens.
Original post by hollyoaks12
I've already talked to both my geography teachers and they said they know i'll do well and they don't want me to drop it but they said if I really want to drop it then I should. They're willing to help me and they've even organised a meeting kind of thing with a year 13 student who had the same kinda thoughts as I am having now.

I wouldn't really know what to take. I initially took geography because I liked it so much at GCSE and my teachers are pretty sure it's just the topic adn I'll like the rest of it.

Thank you. I think I just need to go away and think about it. I might just tough it out and see what happens.

The topics will count for a lot, the teachers are right about that. Quite a few of my friends who took Geography really enjoyed it and found it interesting. At A level a lot of it is just having to do it- even with things you otherwise enjoy.

Your teachers seem very supportive, so I think you’d have help with the work if you find it hard. And talking to another student seems like a great shout!

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll get through it fine.
Reply 6
Original post by ElanortheHobbit
The topics will count for a lot, the teachers are right about that. Quite a few of my friends who took Geography really enjoyed it and found it interesting. At A level a lot of it is just having to do it- even with things you otherwise enjoy.

Your teachers seem very supportive, so I think you’d have help with the work if you find it hard. And talking to another student seems like a great shout!

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll get through it fine.

Thank you! I think I'm just going to tough it out and try my best to get through this topic, as I generally do find geography interesting and I'm definitely going to talk to that other student. Hopefully, it's just the topic that I despise.

Quick Reply

Latest