The Student Room Group

Oxford English Applicants 2018

I haven't seen a thread like this yet so thought I'd get a discussion going since it's about time people began sending in their applications! If there's already a thread like this, please direct me to it!

Let's get down to business and introduce ourselves shall we?

Name: Annie

College (and why?): Hertford I hope! I think its beautiful in a kind of quirky way and a bit more subtle than some of the larger colleges. Central location is also a plus :wink:

GCSE Results: 6A*s and 5As

AS Results: Classical Civilisation (A), General Studies (A) and Critical Thinking (A), my school didn't offer AS for any of the reformed subjects!

A2 Subjects: English Lit, History and Classical Civilisation

Predicted Grades: A*A*A

Where else are you applying: Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow and Cardiff

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump!!
Name: Michelle :smile:

College (and why?): Trinity because I wanted a college that was close to the centre with a small, friendly atmosphere. Plus, I’m also applying for a scholarship so that narrowed down my choices by quite a bit.

GCSE Results (SPM - the Malaysian equivalent): 7A+s 3As and 1B+

AS results: AAAA (English Lit, Maths, Law and Business - my college doesn’t have a lot of subject choices sadly)

A2 subjects: All of the above subjects. I also took AS General Paper.

Achieved grades (post A-Level applicant): AAABa (the B is in Law and the a is in General Paper) Honestly not amazing grades but I’m applying anyways :biggrin:

Where else are you applying: York, Exeter, Birmingham, UEA and some non-UK universities
Name: Amy

College (and why?): Merton, because I visited it on the Open Day and fell in love. Mainly because the garden is amazing, but also because they offer accommodation for all 3 years of your degree and the people I met there were so so lovely.

GCSE results: 10 A* 2 A

AS results: AAAAC (English Lit, Maths, Politics, General Studies & History)

A2 subjects: English Lit, History, Politics and General Studies

Achieved grades (applying during a gap year): A*A*A*A*

Where else are you applying: St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol and Exeter

(I actually applied to read History at Brasenose College this time last year and was rejected after interview. Since then I have had the biggest change of heart you could possibly imagine and realised that I was insane applying for History because I should have been applying for English. I also found A-level History ridiculously difficult and went from loving it to pretty much despising it. So here I am, basically.)
Name: Arabella
College (and why?): Trinity because I just like it
GCSE Results: 7A*s, 3As and A^ in Further Maths
AS Results: Maths and Further Maths (A) - My school don't do ASs in other subjects
A2 Subjects: English Lit, Physics, Maths, Further Maths
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A
Where else are you applying: Warwick, Exeter, Durham and UEA
Original post by a.nnie
I haven't seen a thread like this yet so thought I'd get a discussion going since it's about time people began sending in their applications! If there's already a thread like this, please direct me to it!

Let's get down to business and introduce ourselves shall we?

Name: Annie

College (and why?): Hertford I hope! I think its beautiful in a kind of quirky way and a bit more subtle than some of the larger colleges. Central location is also a plus :wink:

GCSE Results: 6A*s and 5As

AS Results: Classical Civilisation (A), General Studies (A) and Critical Thinking (A), my school didn't offer AS for any of the reformed subjects!

A2 Subjects: English Lit, History and Classical Civilisation

Predicted Grades: A*A*A

Where else are you applying: Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow and Cardiff

Original post by ScreamerOfStars
Name: Michelle :smile:

College (and why?): Trinity because I wanted a college that was close to the centre with a small, friendly atmosphere. Plus, I’m also applying for a scholarship so that narrowed down my choices by quite a bit.

GCSE Results (SPM - the Malaysian equivalent): 7A+s 3As and 1B+

AS results: AAAA (English Lit, Maths, Law and Business - my college doesn’t have a lot of subject choices sadly)

A2 subjects: All of the above subjects. I also took AS General Paper.

Achieved grades (post A-Level applicant): AAABa (the B is in Law and the a is in General Paper) Honestly not amazing grades but I’m applying anyways :biggrin:

Where else are you applying: York, Exeter, Birmingham, UEA and some non-UK universities

Original post by amygracebroad
Name: Amy

College (and why?): Merton, because I visited it on the Open Day and fell in love. Mainly because the garden is amazing, but also because they offer accommodation for all 3 years of your degree and the people I met there were so so lovely.

GCSE results: 10 A* 2 A

AS results: AAAAC (English Lit, Maths, Politics, General Studies & History)

A2 subjects: English Lit, History, Politics and General Studies

Achieved grades (applying during a gap year): A*A*A*A*

Where else are you applying: St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol and Exeter

(I actually applied to read History at Brasenose College this time last year and was rejected after interview. Since then I have had the biggest change of heart you could possibly imagine and realised that I was insane applying for History because I should have been applying for English. I also found A-level History ridiculously difficult and went from loving it to pretty much despising it. So here I am, basically.)

How is everyone's ELAT preparation going?
Has anyone been told anything about submitting written work? I haven't, should I panic!
Original post by tryingmybest2015
Has anyone been told anything about submitting written work? I haven't, should I panic!

I haven’t received an email from the college I applied to (Trinity) about written work either. Brasenose said that they were sending out emails this week so I assume other colleges will also be doing so this week. :smile:
Name: Becca
College (and why?): LMH because it looks really good pastorally, liberal and welcoming. Plus pugs (also many other reasons that I can’t list because it’s my dream college aha and there’s just too many!)
GCSE Results: 8A*s and 1A plus A in Add maths and A* in RS short course
AS Results: none because my school mucked us over and made us take all subjects (including modular ones) as ‘linear courses’... 14 exams at A2, lucky me
A2 Subjects: English Lit, R.S. and Maths
Achieved Grades: A*A*B (extenuating circumstances)
Predicted Grade for Maths retake: A (but hopefully A* aha!)
Where else are you applying: Durham (English and Phil), UEA and Notts (both English with CW). Leaving 5th choice open until I hear back from some aha because I don’t trust myself to get in anywhere

How’s everyone feeling about ELAT? I really like it from the perspective of intellectual curiosity but it makes me very nervous. I mean, when you’re taking it, you’re competing against the best in the country😳
Original post by ScreamerOfStars
I haven’t received an email from the college I applied to (Trinity) about written work either. Brasenose said that they were sending out emails this week so I assume other colleges will also be doing so this week. :smile:

Thank you so much! I was really starting to worry ahahah
Reply 10
name: Katherine
college: New because it's beautiful, central, and has a nice reputation, but there are so many other reasons
(I take different standardized tests- APs, ACT, etc.)
where else am I applying: Durham, St. Andrew's, Edinburgh, KCL (got my unconditional offer a couple days ago!!), and some other non-UK schools
Thanks for making this thread!! Hi guys I'm Amira :smile:))

College (and why?): Gone with Wadham because of its focus on diversity and its relaxed yet traditional atmosphere
GCSE Results: A*^ in further maths, 11A*s and 2As
AS: got an A in AS maths
A2 Subjects: English Lit, History and Biology
Predicted Grades: A*A*A and A* in EPQ
Where else are you applying: Warwick, Birmingham, UCL and Southampton - all to do English Lit !!

I am absolutely bricking it for the ELAT, excited to see what texts and theme but worried I won't get top band :frown: if anyone has any advice about written work e.g what text, what style that would be fab !!
(edited 6 years ago)
College (and why?): Magdalen, it felt very grand and quaint when I visited. I liked that a lot.
GCSE Results: 9A* 2A
A2 Subjects: English Lit, History and Politics
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*
Where else are you applying: Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and UCL

I'm quite excited for the ELAT, and besides some general pointers about structure, I feel as if it's one of those tests where preparation won't help you too much and your best bet is to keep reading...thoughtfully? I don't anticipate getting into the top band but I hope that by some twist of fate it works out lol.
Original post by Anannawoddwu
College (and why?): Magdalen, it felt very grand and quaint when I visited. I liked that a lot.
GCSE Results: 9A* 2A
A2 Subjects: English Lit, History and Politics
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*
Where else are you applying: Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and UCL

I'm quite excited for the ELAT, and besides some general pointers about structure, I feel as if it's one of those tests where preparation won't help you too much and your best bet is to keep reading...thoughtfully? I don't anticipate getting into the top band but I hope that by some twist of fate it works out lol.

Ahhh you're doing the same A-levels that I did!!

& I feel exactly the same about the ELAT, I'm quite excited to see the texts and the theme for this year. Just need to ensure I can still work at speed because I've been out of practice recently!!
Reply 14
New College

11 A* GCSE

Predicted A*A*A*A* in English, Philosophy, Latin and German

Also applying to UCL
Original post by amygracebroad
Ahhh you're doing the same A-levels that I did!!

& I feel exactly the same about the ELAT, I'm quite excited to see the texts and the theme for this year. Just need to ensure I can still work at speed because I've been out of practice recently!!

Ahh cool! I hope I pace myself well too.
Im Gigi from Hong Kong, I applied to New College. No reason for that cuz idk either. I'm currently doing Chemistry, biology and literature in English.

I am worrying about my written work cuz honestly, I didn't socre really well in those essays. What's more frustrating is that the HK exams are very different from GCE, so my ' good' essays don't really mean anything in the eyes of foreigners.

ELAT just drives me crazy. Am I th only one who finds it difficult? I'm not a native speaker, so I imagine you guys might not find it particularly hard or anything.
Reply 17
Name: Zoe
Location: From California but currently doing English at Durham (feel free to ask me about Durham if you're applying!)
College (and why?): Hertford! It's got accommodation for all three years, its beautiful, and there are quite a few spots for English.
Qualifications: I did American high school qualifications. 5 APs at grade 5, and 800/800 subject test. I think Oxford will probably also take into account my degree modules for my first year here at Durham.
Where else are you applying: no where else this year
Original post by zee35
Name: Zoe
Location: From California but currently doing English at Durham (feel free to ask me about Durham if you're applying!)
College (and why?): Hertford! It's got accommodation for all three years, its beautiful, and there are quite a few spots for English.
Qualifications: I did American high school qualifications. 5 APs at grade 5, and 800/800 subject test. I think Oxford will probably also take into account my degree modules for my first year here at Durham.
Where else are you applying: no where else this year

How come you’ve decided to switch from Durham? I’ve applied there too!
Reply 19
Original post by beccabokka
How come you’ve decided to switch from Durham? I’ve applied there too!

Durham is a great uni for English and I totally recommend you still apply! The course here is great overall! I'm a bit of an oddity as I here we have a really great student retention rate in the department, but there are a few reasons I'm looking to switch.

I definitely wish there were more contact hours. The faculty here encourages a lot of independent study (which makes sense because if you're going to doing English as a degree, you are going to need to actually read) however, with only 8 contact hours a week I'm finding it really difficult to make meaningful connections with the texts I'm looking at and definitely wish I had more contact with peers/tutors to help me flush out/exchange ideas.

Aside from academics, I'm finding it really hard to learn to love the setting. It's a beautiful place and a lovely little quaint town, but if you're used to somewhere big like London and Los Angeles (as I am) its quite a bit of shocker coming up here and can be a bit depressing. If you want more info you're welcome to PM me!

Quick Reply

Latest