Pharmacology.... Watch

This discussion is closed.
theepw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hiya,
I was just wondering whether, you can become a Pharmacist by getting a degree in Pharmacology. I know that you need a MPharm in order to become a fully qualified pharmacist..... however, after getting a pharmacology degree, can you go on to study for a Master of Pharmacy? Or is a degree in Pharmacy the only option?

Thanks.
LS.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not quite sure what you mean there - a Master of pharmacy is the MPharm qualification which you can apply to dirrectly after your A-levels. I don't see why you couldn't do an MPharm as a second degree. However, I don't think a phamacology degree exempts you from any parts of the MPharm.

But I could be wrong. I'm sure someone else will know more.
Ramaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you need to complete the 4 years for the Master of Pharmacy, not just the last year, so applying to do pharmacology would mean you'd have to do MPharm afterwards. Some of the stuff must overlap so I think you'd be slightly advantaged on the second degree.
[ooh 1000th post :cool: ]
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree with the above post. In my uni, I have someone who did a pharmacolgy degree earlier, and still has to do the MPharm degree. You are slightly advantaged in some prats, because there is quite a bit of pharmacolgy in the degree.
Evolin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
how comes you are considering doin both tho?
wouldnt it be easier just to do the pharmacy degree if you want to be a apharmacist??
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tazzie)
wouldnt it be easier just to do the pharmacy degree if you want to be a apharmacist??
Because a degree in pharmacology is more useful if you wish to become a researcher.
theepw
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tazzie)
I think I might have been mis understood a bit....

I do want to do Pharmacy.... however, if I cant get a place at a Uni to study Pharmacy.... are there any alternative routes in order to become a Pharmacist?

I wanted to know, whether studying Pharmacy was the ONLY way in order for someone to become a Pharmacist....

I was holding out hope, that if I did not get the grades, I could go into Pharmacology and then move onto a Pharmacy degree or something like that...

So, the real question is..... Is a Pharmacy degree, the ONLY way of becoming a Pharmacist? Or will a pharmacology degree lead me down the same road?

Thanks.
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theepw)

So, the real question is..... Is a Pharmacy degree, the ONLY way of becoming a Pharmacist? Or will a pharmacology degree lead me down the same road?
I think .LS said earlier the only way to be become a pharmacist is to do a pharmacy degree. You can't become a pharmacist with only a pharmacology degree. You could a pharmacology degree and then do a pharmacy degree (like people have already said) but I'm not sure there'd be an awful lot of chemistry content in a pharmacology degree and chemistry is very important in a pharmacy degree.

Why do you not feel you won't get onto pharmacy? Some universities do like a foundation year where you get all your science up to scratch ... but I think that is for people who have decided they wanna be a pharmacist but haven't taken chemistry. Worth looking into though!
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by -Emmz-)
but I'm not sure there'd be an awful lot of chemistry content in a pharmacology degree and chemistry is very important in a pharmacy degree.
There's plenty of chemistry in pharmacology.
karen_uk
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
hiya im just wonderin what pharmacology is can anyone tell me please. im doing medicinal and biological chemistry at uni. medicinal chemistry is study of chemistry, synthetic organic chemistry, drug design and whole bunch of stuff. is pharmacology the same?
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
There's plenty of chemistry in pharmacology.
I know there'd be some but I'm not sure it'd be the same as the chemistry you're taught in pharmacy.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Pharmacology is the study of the properties of drugs and their action on the body - it is in essence the 'science' behind pharmacy. The only difference between pharmacology and pharmacy that I can see is that a course in pharmacy trains you to be dispensing pharmacist - pharmacology trains you as a drug scientist. The chemistry content of a pharmacology degree is likely to be the same if not higher than a pharmacy degree.
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the chemistry content would be same having never studied a pharmacology degree. Although I'm not sure the chemistry content would be higher on a pharmacology degree - I've been looking at entry requirements for pharmacology at universities that also offer pharmacy and the offers for pharmacology are lower and you can get onto it without an A Level in chemistry at some places.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the chemistry content would be same having never studied a pharmacology degree. Although I'm not sure the chemistry content would be higher on a pharmacology degree - I've been looking at entry requirements for pharmacology at universities that also offer pharmacy and the offers for pharmacology are lower and you can get onto it without an A Level in chemistry at some places.
Purely because Pharmacy is much more popular, I assure you.
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Purely because Pharmacy is much more popular, I assure you.
Even so, letting people onto a pharmacology course without chemistry A Level seems a little uh stupid. If the chemistry content is the same or higher than for pharmacy, then they'd struggle; A LOT.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Even so, letting people onto a pharmacology course without chemistry A Level seems a little uh stupid. If the chemistry content is the same or higher than for pharmacy, then they'd struggle; A LOT.
Yes, they do. You can also get into Biochemistry without chemistry A-level and people struggle with that too.
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are they really that desperate to get people onto these courses? I can't imagine how stressed these people who haven't done chemistry must get . My chemistry exam was by far the hardest of all my exams this year, even my friend who's doing a straight chemistry degree and completely in love with the subject commented on how hard it was and how much I was expected to know for so few marks.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are they really that desperate to get people onto these courses? I can't imagine how stressed these people who haven't done chemistry must get . My chemistry exam was by far the hardest of all my exams this year, even my friend who's doing a straight chemistry degree and completely in love with the subject commented on how hard it was and how much I was expected to know for so few marks.
All science are suffering from low uptake. They even let people without A-level chemistry sit first year chemistry courses at the Uni I did my degree at.
theepw
Rep:
?
I think .LS said earlier the only way to be become a pharmacist is to do a pharmacy degree. You can't become a pharmacist with only a pharmacology degree. You could a pharmacology degree and then do a pharmacy degree (like people have already said) but I'm not sure there'd be an awful lot of chemistry content in a pharmacology degree and chemistry is very important in a pharmacy degree.

Why do you not feel you won't get onto pharmacy? Some universities do like a foundation year where you get all your science up to scratch ... but I think that is for people who have decided they wanna be a pharmacist but haven't taken chemistry. Worth looking into though!
Well... I seriously doubt that my Chemistry teachers have predicted me a B at a-level for Chemistry. Almost all Pharmacy courses require a B as an essential grade in Chemistry in order to study the degree course. This makes me feel really let down and frustrated, because I know with AS retakes, I am capable of getting my low C up to a B....

I dont know any Pharmacy universities to choose for Pharmacy, and ANY that would let me in with a predicted grade lower than a B!

The fact that I have heard that Pharmacy is competitive, has really put a downer on what I wanted to do as a career...

(btw.. how long is the Pharmacology course? I was hoping that after getting a Pharmacology degree, you could go straight into studying for a MPhar... but I guess that idea is down the drain, and doing a completely separate degree is goiong to be costly.)
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Can you not ask your chemistry tutor to predict you a B if you explain the situation to them?

Thinking back, although every school of pharmacy specifies at least a grade B in chemistry my offer from De Montford was BCC - it didn't state the B had to be in chemistry.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (22)
25.88%
No - I got the required grades (52)
61.18%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (11)
12.94%

Watched Threads