Pharmacology.... Watch

This discussion is closed.
theepw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Btw Emmz, I have spoken to my HE advisor, and he says that he sees no problem in me being predicted BBB!

...However, before I get too excited, he said I should further discuss the predicted grade situation with the Headmaster. Wish me luck, I have a meeting with him in a week, and what he says goes!

I just hope I can convince him to put me down for BBB...
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theepw)
Btw Emmz, I have spoken to my HE advisor, and he says that he sees no problem in me being predicted BBB!

...However, before I get too excited, he said I should further discuss the predicted grade situation with the Headmaster. Wish me luck, I have a meeting with him in a week, and what he says goes!

I just hope I can convince him to put me down for BBB...
Awww that's wicked news [insert your name here *LoL*] ... good luck with seeing your headmaster and fingers crossed for a BBB prediction!
theepw
Rep:
?
thanks

Btw... when would it be suitable to send of my application for Pharmacy? When did you send your off?

Will I get any chance of having an offer if I apply before October half term? Or to have any chance in getting a place, should I apply within the next week or so? I am not to sure how competitive Pharmacy actually is...
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think my application went off just before October half term. I think it's a good job to get it off before half term because then you'll be one of the first lots of applications the admissions tutors go through so have much chance of getting an offer or interview (I guess if you sent it off at the very last minute they might be able to offer you a place, not because you're not good enough, but because they're already made their allocated number of offers).
theepw
Rep:
?
Oh right... I am hoping if everything goes well, to send my application off in about 1 week....

If I manage to do that, are my chances of getting a place increased a lot?

Btw... if you get a place, are they all unconditional offers? Or can they still reject your application on revision of A2 results?
LS.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just thought I'd let people know... Keele not is running Pharmacy in 2005 I really wanted to go there.
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not sure your chances are increased a lot but if certainly doesn't hurt them.

The offers you'll get will be conditional so they'll rely on your A2 results.
theepw
Rep:
?
(Original post by LS.)
Just thought I'd let people know... Keele is running Pharmacy in 2005 I really wanted to go there.
Whats the problem? If you are just starting your A2 studies, you can apply to Keele for Pharmacy. Everyone at this moment in time who is in the upper sixth (A2 studies)... is an applicant applying in the year 2005.

That is why on the UCAS web site, people who are applying for Unis this year, should click on the '2005 entrance' link. If they are running it in 2005, which is the year in which we will be attending Uni, we can apply for it...
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DrJackal)
What GCSE grades do you need for Pharmacy? I'm curious to know, i think that you need a B/C in higher GCSE maths? I'm thinking of pharmacy as my backup if i can't get into medicine.
I think it's a B in English and a B in Maths if you're not doing AS/A Level.
LS.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theepw)
Whats the problem? If you are just starting your A2 studies, you can apply to Keele for Pharmacy. Everyone at this moment in time who is in the upper sixth (A2 studies)... is an applicant applying in the year 2005.

That is why on the UCAS web site, people who are applying for Unis this year, should click on the '2005 entrance' link. If they are running it in 2005, which is the year in which we will be attending Uni, we can apply for it...

Edited... they aren't running 2005 despite still being on the UCAS site.
khil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hiya! I've been looking into pharmacology myself too! I do know Aberdeen looks for very low grades - the prospectus is upstairs so can't be bothered to check the grades right now, but it specifies for C's and D's and if you want entry into the second year then you need B's and C's. Of course being Scotland it's a four year course. But Aberdeen is pretty good.

After pharmacology you can't practise as a pharmacist yet - you gotta train and past loads of exams - a nurse, whose daughter is training as a pharmacist, once told me that her daughter has been studying for something like 7 years and still gotta pass some more exams before she is fully qualified. It's a long route, pharmacology.

Btw are you sure you can handle the chemistry and biochemistry in pharmacology if you got a boarderline C for chem? I don't mean this horribly, but I got a C for chem too at AS, a mark off a B and there're the most basic of stuff that I don't get or can't do because my chem basis was so poor. I was trying to figure out if breaking of bonds gave out or taken in energy that's how bad I am! And I'm only on about A2 at the moment - wouldn't you struggle in pharmacology, at degree level, with a low C at AS? That is presuming you worked hard during AS. If it was just a strike of bad luck during the exams then you should be fine.

Sorry that seems so harsh, but to be honest the uni's might be thinking a similar thing. But if you think you can handle it and a low C isn't your maximum capability, then go for it. Good luck!
theepw
Rep:
?
Im applying for Pharmacy, not Pharmacoloy. The types of information you learn is different. Pharmacology I presume is more about the biochemistry of medicines and their structures.

Btw LC... how do you know that Keele are not running Pharmacy in 2005? I thought the UCAS web site was really up to date, its not even posted on the UCAS ammendments part of the site, which posts changes to courses...
LS.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Keele - Pharmacy

THIS COURSE HAS BEEN DELAYED AND WILL NOT BE RUNNING IN 2005
That's how I know. It's on Keele's site.
theepw
Rep:
?
Yea... I realised that, just after making my post above....

Shame...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?