Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The title of this thread may not be agreed by everyone, but in reality it is. Or at least we can make it happen. After starting Year 12, I finally realise that we can make GCSE's easy if we really work for it.

These are my grades for GCSE:
    Maths: 8
    English Language: 7
    English Literature: 6
    Biology: A
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A
    R.S: A
    Computing: A
    Mandarin: A*
    French: B
    History: B

My grades aren't clearly amazing, but considering I fractured my hand 3 weeks before my first exam (therefore unable to write my exams), my grades are not too bad.

I believe that anyone can do better than what I got, because GCSE's are really easy if you plan your way to success. My success was jeopardised by my broken hand, but I still managed to get respective grades.

This thread is mainly to motivate and advise GCSE students out there and help them believe in themselves, because self motivation and good revision/preparation are the two main factors to success in GCSE.

Revising for GCSE's do require sacrafices, but if you think long term, then you will come out with amazing grades. You will have the whole summer to return back to your usual activities.

Start making notes as early as possible so that they can be used as revision material. As you make notes, make improvements on them each time you use it to revise as this can maximise your grade.

Make sure you don't just say GCSE's are easy without doing hard work. Make sure you put in the effort and then confidently say that GCSE's are easy. However do not sound cocky or boast about your grades. Remember that these are YOUR CGSE's and whatever grade you get does not need to be compared to anyone elses. These grades determine your future, not your friend's future.

Hopefully this thread was motivating and not stressful. If anyone needs any subject advice (make sure the subject has been done by me) then just ask and I will make sure I give the best advice I can.

1 final advice: Don't break your hand 3 weeks before your GCSE's!

ReputationRep:
    Well GCSEs are certainly easier than AS and A levels, I will give you that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Well GCSEs are certainly easier than AS and A levels, I will give you that.
    Definetly! The sooner students realise the jump from GCSE's to AS and A Levels, the better!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say GCSE's are easy because they are not. It's challenging because you have so many subjects to study and yeah that's part of the challenge, having to revise all of them. School's give a lot of preparation for GCSE's... a lot more than for AS/A Levels, so really if people can't cope with GCSE's, they're going to have a tough ride as they go up!
    But yeah, you could say the same for AS and A2... if you revise a lot you will do well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pereira325)
    I wouldn't say GCSE's are easy because they are not. It's challenging because you have so many subjects to study and yeah that's part of the challenge, having to revise all of them. School's give a lot of preparation for GCSE's... a lot more than for AS/A Levels, so really if people can't cope with GCSE's, they're going to have a tough ride as they go up!
    But yeah, you could say the same for AS and A2... if you revise a lot you will do well
    I understand that studying for 11 subjects is a challenge. But working hard and splitting up time evenly, it is possible to make that challenge easier, hence making GCSE's easier to revise for.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are considerably easy compared to A-levels, just as A-levels may be considered significantly easier than an undergraduate degree etc. It doesn't make them seem easy at the time, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Yes, they are considerably easy compared to A-levels, just as A-levels may be considered significantly easier than an undergraduate degree etc. It doesn't make them seem easy at the time, however.
    Very true. This thread was just to motivate students and make sure they realise the importance of GCSE's and how they can make their exams seem more easier (less challenging) having worked hard.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember - at GCSE you're up against the whole country. If you go over the spec, do past papers and draw spider diagrams then you've already done more than 60% of the other entrants. AS and A-Level will be MUCH harder because you're up against the people who got A and A* (and maybe a few B's and C's) though it's worth noting that the vast majority who do A level will have got an A in their chosen subject so if you got an A* at GCSE then if you stay on top of things you have a really good chance of getting an A/A* at A-Level.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Just remember - at GCSE you're up against the whole country. If you go over the spec, do past papers and draw spider diagrams then you've already done more than 60% of the other entrants. AS and A-Level will be MUCH harder because you're up against the people who got A and A* (and maybe a few B's and C's) though it's worth noting that the vast majority who do A level will have got an A in their chosen subject so if you got an A* at GCSE then if you stay on top of things you have a really good chance of getting an A/A* at A-Level.
    Hi, current y11 here.

If I get A*s in Business, Computing and maths do I have a chance at A-A*s at A level in those subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcDEFG667)
    Hi, current y11 here.

If I get A*s in Business, Computing and maths do I have a chance at A-A*s at A level in those subjects?
    Yes, you have a good chance. What's important is understanding the specification, you can do practice and past papers in class and closer to exams. If you're an able student don't worry too much about the people who say "oh you have to do 5hrs a day revision and stay on top of things". Just make sure you understand what the teacher explains in class, do the homework assigned and maybe a few questions from the textbook if you can. If you have free time over the weekend you can start going trough the textbook, but when half term comes then you should use it to thoroughly go over what you learnt and prepare for any tests.

As a current GCSE student, if you understand the spec then I would personally start grinding over half term and Christmas. I personally summarised the entirely of all 3 science textbooks because summarising is the best way to check you understand the content for the info-heavy subjects like sciences (it is slow though - luckily I did it all over Christmas). Then I did questions from textbooks from other subjects. During Easter I did a quick run through of the textbooks before doing past papers (printed them all off at school, about 3 past papers per unit exam - huge pile of paper).
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcDEFG667)
    Hi, current y11 here.

There is a very high chance, but you must work harder at A-levels than GCSE's. The amount of work and effort you put on should rise as you go up a year, providing that you are determined to suceed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ukvoltaire)
    There is a very high chance, but you must work harder at A-levels than GCSE's. The amount of work and effort you put on should rise as you go up a year, providing that you are determined to suceed.
    I hope so because my math teacher told me that in Maths A-level unless you get above 85% on the GCSE (A* was like 70 something %?) you will probably get a D or less at A-level. That scared the **** out of me and almost put me off doing A level maths.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.