Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to understand complex roads? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I have a bit of a problem that I want to solve.

Passed my test two months ago and have been a superb driver since. Thing is, I passed my test in a small town with very simple roads. (Straight, left, right, roundabouts, occasional 50 mph road.) That's it.

A few weeks back, I travelled on the motorway for the first time with my father and drove to Manchester.

Holy hell, I haven't been so damn nervous and alert in a while. There were casual roads with 4 lanes, so many damn road markings, busy roads going in different directions. Jesus. I had my father helping so everything went well though I keep thinking about the future.

How on earth do I fix this issue?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masq)

Passed my test two months ago and have been a superb driver since. Thing is, I passed my test in a small town with very simple roads. (Straight, left, right, roundabouts, occasional 50 mph road.) That's it.

A few weeks back, I travelled on the motorway for the first time with my father and drove to Manchester.

Holy hell, I haven't been so damn nervous and alert in a while. There were casual roads with 4 lanes, so many damn road markings, busy roads going in different directions. Jesus. I had my father helping so everything went well though I keep thinking about the future.

The lanes are there for a reason. You stick to the lane which applies to you...

Going faster than everyone else? Then use the outside lanes.

Need to turn at an exit? Get into that lane prior to the exit.

I don't see what's complicated Although, on your first time, you're bound to be scared! Everyone is. :yep:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masq)

Like any aspect of driving, it takes experience. Just like how it probably took a bit of time for you to get used to e.g. roundabouts when you first learnt to drive.

Are you still living in a small town? Will you be able to get more experience on bigger roads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Like any aspect of driving, it takes experience. Just like how it probably took a bit of time for you to get used to e.g. roundabouts when you first learnt to drive.

Are you still living in a small town? Will you be able to get more experience on bigger roads?
    Yes unfortunately I'll be living here for quite some time. I was thinking that perhaps maybe going back through the highway code might be a solution.

Manchester completely shook me. I'm not saying I couldn't handle it. I just feel as though, if my father had not been there, I may have maybe taken a wrong lane, wrong road etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.