Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I went to see some AS Biology past papers just to get a taste of what I will be dealing with in the real thing in May and the questions look structured pretty much the same way as GCSEs, I came across this question in the paper:
    http://prntscr.com/gtsayb
    And I thought "Oh I got this! I already revised it so I know it"
    But when I looked at the mark scheme their answer was SO SO different from mine.
    http://prntscr.com/gtscjc
    I said "The membrane found on the surface of animal cells and just inside the cell wall of plant cells and prokaryotic cells. It's made mainly of lipids and proteins."
    Or at least that's what the revision guide taught me. Is the mark scheme really right here? If not then what's the real answer to this question?

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 694288

ReputationRep:
    The mark scheme is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelpMe??)
    a plasma wat?
    If you are doing AS Biology then it should sound familiar

ReputationRep:
    HelpMe?? - A plasma membrane..cell membrane. The membrane phospholipids make up by forming a bilayer.

ReputationRep:
    I've done AS Biology in May/June and got an A.

ReputationRep:
    Your revision guide sounds too VAGUE. And RTQ properly.."describe the structure" ..the only bit your sentence answered was vaguely it being made of lipids and proteins.

ReputationRep:
    You need to talk about the structure of the membrane, and not where it's found
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    I went to see some AS Biology past papers just to get a taste of what I will be dealing with in the real thing in May and the questions look structured pretty much the same way as GCSEs, I came across this question in the paper:
    http://prntscr.com/gtsayb
    And I thought "Oh I got this! I already revised it so I know it"
    But when I looked at the mark scheme their answer was SO SO different from mine.
    http://prntscr.com/gtscjc
    I said "The membrane found on the surface of animal cells and just inside the cell wall of plant cells and prokaryotic cells. It's made mainly of lipids and proteins."
    Or at least that's what the revision guide taught me. Is the mark scheme really right here? If not then what's the real answer to this question?
    it is absolutely right , they are asking you about the structure which means they want you to write the components of the plasma membrane. They are not asking you about the plasma membrane location or comparing the animal cell plasma membrane to plant cell plasma membrane.
    You need to understand the question before answering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    HelpMe?? - A plasma membrane..cell membrane. The membrane phospholipids make up by forming a bilayer.
    I got confused at A

ReputationRep:
    Your revision guide sounds too VAGUE. And RTQ properly.."describe the structure" ..the only bit your sentence answered was vaguely it being made of lipids and proteins.
    Which book or revision guide would you recommend for AS Biology? Good thing I check up upon this otherwise I could have ended up revising my vague revision guide just to fail!
    I am using this revision guide just if you want to know:
    https://wordery.com/new-a-level-biol...iABEgL5gPD_BwE

ReputationRep:
    HelpMe?? what are u on about?

do you not know what a membrane is?

ReputationRep:
    You have to talk about the phospholipid bilayer and the presence of channel/carrier proteins embedded in the membrane I think?

The difficulty in biology comes from not the content, but the application of knowledge. You can write everything correctly in the exam but reading the question slightly wrong, losing a bit of focus or applying the wrong exam technique can cost you marks. I got a B in my AS mocks because of that, despite revising hard.

And you said you wrote exactly what was said in the revision guide? Don't do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Which book or revision guide would you recommend for AS Biology? Good thing I check up upon this otherwise I could have ended up revising my vague revision guide just to fail!
    I am using this revision guide just if you want to know:
    https://wordery.com/new-a-level-biology-ocr-a-year-1-as-complete-revision-practice-with-online-edition-cgp-books-9781782942863?currency=GBP&gtrck =ZjlTaVptTG1kQm9rSkpUVGpaUUNZYTd HaDU1TTJWeVFSU2xrZTdLNUp4OXZCdjl 6MjErWmtNRFN1bnc0R1BOYWpaOUJYM2p Lc1Rkd1NxaUwyaHZQWnc9PQ&gclid=EA IaIQobChMI14a9pbna1gIV6pPtCh22KA pVEAQYAiABEgL5gPD_BwE
    I don't study Biology but what I'm about to say will hold for all subjects. Revision guides are too vague, they are not suitable for the learner that really wants to understand their subject. Note, if you are aiming for the top grades you're going to want to thoroughly understand your subject.

ReputationRep:
    HelpMe?? what are u on about?

do you not know what a membrane is?
    nope

I'm not the OP

ReputationRep:
    I think your revision guide is fine as I use CGP too for revision purposes but don't let that be the only thing you use. It's not the best for the top grades only...

ReputationRep:
    Get your official endorsed exam board textbook + CGP guide + past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelpMe??)
    I don't study Biology but what I'm about to say will hold for all subjects. Revision guides are too vague, they are not suitable for the learner that really wants to understand their subject. Note, if you are aiming for the top grades you're going to want to thoroughly understand your subject.
    Apparently that's what my school said, revise from the revision guides and they told me to buy this exact CGP book.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing Edexcel SNAB by the way. Doing A2 at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    "Revise from the revision guides"...CGP is good for quick revision or getting complicated concepts clear because they don't have block texts or 24/7 sophisticaed language.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.