Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    Get your official endorsed exam board textbook + CGP guide + past papers.
    How am I supposed to revise from two books? I can already see the jump from GCSE to A levels is just massive and yes I am indeed aiming for the top grades(Those As)

ReputationRep:
    ^ Use your textbook to read through the information as that is the official spec expanded and accompany it with CGP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Apparently that's what my school said, revise from the revision guides and they told me to buy this exact CGP book.
    I would agree with what the above said, get the endorsed exam board textbook.

CGP are books which have been condensed therefore everything which is on the syllabus will not be covered in as much detail as normal textbooks would be.

ReputationRep:
    How am I supposed to revise from two books? I can already see the jump from GCSE to A levels is just massive and yes I am indeed aiming for the top grades(Those As)
    Go through the proper exam board textbook first and then perhaps when you want to recap some things just before an exam use CGP. I don't do biology though but this is what I would do if i did. I did get an A* in maths and further maths though.

ReputationRep:
    You should ideally:

Go through your textbook first as that is the main thing that follows your exam board's spec.
    Use the CGP to get any misconceptions or confusing parts clear.
    Past papers.

Repeat.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Use your textbook to read through the information as that is the official spec expanded and accompany it with CGP.
    Yes you are right, I just had a quick look from the endorsed OCR textbook and the answer is the same as the mark scheme's answer, I guess revision guides are vague indeed and should only be used as last minute revision. But the problem with these textbooks is that they contain so much which is not on the spec, do you really need to learn everything in the book to aim for those As?

ReputationRep:
    Mark scheme is correct. What i would have written i have just started as too
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree sometimes the textbooks have extra info, but ideally you should try to memorise most of the info.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are right, I just had a quick look from the endorsed OCR textbook and the answer is the same as the mark scheme's answer, I guess revision guides are vague indeed and should only be used as last minute revision. But the problem with these textbooks is that they contain so much which is not on the spec, do you really need to learn everything in the book to aim for those As?
    What? I doubt the endorsed book would have content not on the spec.

Surely not everything you revise will be on the exam. However, you don't know what will be on the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Biology exams test the content through application of qs.

ReputationRep:
    Quoting the expert Reality Check

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree sometimes the textbooks have extra info, but ideally you should try to memorise most of the info.
    And that's the only trap in AS Biology for me, the fact that you have to memorize so much info is insane, I am not good at all at memorizing information quickly and storing that information in my brain for a long time, the only technique that works for me is just write down the info from the textbook over and over again until it is stuck in my head, would you recommend me carrying on doing that or is it just too much time consuming? And what should I do about all the notes I made in September for AS Biology from the CGP book? Should I throw them away and make new ones?

ReputationRep:
    Don't throw away any notes - you never know when they may come in handy!

As for writing notes down, if that's how it sticks in your head, do it. Do mindmaps/flashcards...space it out...write key words NOT sentences..BLOCK text isn't good. I memorise by reading repetitively...like memorising a script (I love drama so that helps). it's like doing chem..only way to learn your mechanisms is to practise drawing them out repetitively.

ReputationRep:
    Use the Pomodro technique and Feynnmann technique (spaced repetition).

ReputationRep:
    And that's the only trap in AS Biology for me, the fact that you have to memorize so much info is insane, I am not good at all at memorizing information quickly and storing that information in my brain for a long time, the only technique that works for me is just write down the info from the textbook over and over again until it is stuck in my head, would you recommend me carrying on doing that or is it just too much time consuming? And what should I do about all the notes I made in September for AS Biology from the CGP book? Should I throw them away and make new ones?
    I recommend printing how the specification and using it as a checklist for your revision notes.

What I did was I made concise revision notes for each topic I need by basically 'sieving' through the useless content in the textbook. Textbook does have a lot of extra information (like all textbooks anyway) so you just have to compare to the specification or if you are not sure if you need to learn a specific thing, then just ask your teachers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.