Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I've had my first real relationship this summer over July / August, it was really fun and they were really great for the time we were together for just under a month. I've never had chemistry on that level with anyone and we were honestly great together (rarely argued, similar views and sense of humour), but I had a minor emotional breakdown because my mum got really ill at the same time as my grandma (leaving me only with my semi-abusive father and my 2 siblings - one of whom is already at uni), and she broke up with me because she couldn't handle it. She said it was all her and that I was stupid for going out with her in the first place because she's not like other girls very much and that I would've done way better with another girl (hmmm potential ********). She said that she would get back together but we have to start right from the start. I've mostly stopped talking to her besides the occasional conversation over Instagram DMs.

I kind of want to get back together, it was my fault we broke up (although her response of blanking me in person when we went out with friends near-enough every day for a week before I confronted her and we broke up was less than perfect) but this is the first girl I've ever seriously liked and I really want to get back with her. Should I try to get back with her or is it not a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think things will be genuinely better the second time around? If the same problems are likely to occur, it may be you wouldn't stay together again. You need to identify the reasons why you split up from both sides and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Do you also think she is willing to get back together?

If so, I would try to start talking to her again. Try to build up the bond that brought you together in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Go on then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I've had my first real relationship this summer over July / August, it was really fun and they were really great for the time we were together for just under a month. I've never had chemistry on that level with anyone and we were honestly great together (rarely argued, similar views and sense of humour), but I had a minor emotional breakdown because my mum got really ill at the same time as my grandma (leaving me only with my semi-abusive father and my 2 siblings - one of whom is already at uni), and she broke up with me because she couldn't handle it. She said it was all her and that I was stupid for going out with her in the first place because she's not like other girls very much and that I would've done way better with another girl (hmmm potential ********). She said that she would get back together but we have to start right from the start. I've mostly stopped talking to her besides the occasional conversation over Instagram DMs.

I kind of want to get back together, it was my fault we broke up (although her response of blanking me in person when we went out with friends near-enough every day for a week before I confronted her and we broke up was less than perfect) but this is the first girl I've ever seriously liked and I really want to get back with her. Should I try to get back with her or is it not a good idea?
    Right lad, let's look at the pros and cons of getting back together.

Pros:
    - You enjoyed being in a relationship and want that feeling back.
    - You don't want your first love to be over in less than a month.
    - It might even last longer this time around.

Cons:
    - It could end up exactly the same as it did last time.
    - Both your ways of dealing with this conflict in ideals were questionable to say the least.
    - The aftermath of breaking up was a bit ****

After all, it's entirely up to you; however, from personal experience when my first relationship ended and we got back together... It was fine for a couple of weeks but then things turned out worse than where we left off at the first break up.

I'd suggest just taking a bit more time to recover and think about things, then when your mind is clearer (a month and a half after the initial breakup is recommended) you can make the decision yourself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.