Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V1282 - The Marriage (Amendment) Bill 2017 Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    40.91%
    On the contrary, No
    25.00%
    Abstain
    34.09%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

V1282 - The Marriage (Amendment) Bill 2017, TSR Green Party

A BILL TO

Raise the minimum age of marriage to 18 years

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Minimum age of marriage

(a) The minimum age of marriage shall be raised to 18

(b) No person shall need the permission of parents, legal guardians, or in the case of the Royal Family, the Sovereign, in order to marry.

2: Extent, Commencement and Short Title

(1) This Act extends to all of the United Kingdom.

(2) The provisions of this Act come into force upon Royal Assent.

(3) This shall be cited as the Marriage (Amendment) Bill 2017

Notes

Since the minimum age of marriage was last set in 1929, the compulsory minimum age of leaving school or other education/training has been raised four times, and since 2015, is now 18. A person aged 16 or 17 is unlikely to be able to work sufficient hours to pay for rent, basic essentials and in any other way afford independent living.

Most marriages where one person is 16 or 17 tend nowadays to be where the younger person is a woman, in cultures where education of women and general treatment of them falls short of modern UK expectations. By requiring parental consent, this makes them more vulnerable to arranged/forced marriage, to certain forms of modern slavery, and is probably only granted with marriage between a man and a woman. So to raise the age to that where a person is legally an adult may prevent certain forms of ill-treatment or modern slavery, and avoid a form of indirect albeit unintentional bias against same-sex couples.

The ending of the Sovereign's permission for some members of the Royal Family is to make them on an equal footing with other people, and removes the final part of needing permission from a parent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I agree with s1(a) of this Act, however I find it hard to agree with s1(b). The fact that s3 of the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 states that only six of the persons next in line for the throne needs to ascertain the Sovereign's permission to marry. Not to mention the fact that this bill doesn't repeal said section within said act. I think it would be a mistake to repeal this section of the Succession to the Crown Act 2013.

As a result of what I stated above, I will be abstaining.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    I agree with s1(a) of this Act, however I find it hard to agree with s1(b). The fact that s3 of the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 states that only six of the persons next in line for the throne needs to ascertain the Sovereign's permission to marry. Not to mention the fact that this bill doesn't repeal said section within said act. I think it would be a mistake to repeal this section of the Succession to the Crown Act 2013.

As a result of what I stated above, I will be abstaining.
    Abstaining for top reason, though, it would depend on situation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The winning argument of the debate on this was that the bill serves no real purpose or function. Abstaining on those grounds.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Silly rakas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    Aye

Silly rakas
    You wasted 5 seconds of my life as well
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Agree with raising the age. However, the bill is flawed by not dealing with the Sovereign Act. Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Very marginal aye. Don't really give a ****.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    frankielogue
    If you happen to be online I believe you can vote on this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    frankielogue
    If you happen to be online I believe you can vote on this.
    closed!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    One Aye has been removed due to a double vote in Seat 37.

Order!
    The Ayes to the right, 18.
    The Noes to the left, 11.
    Abstentions, 15.

I think the Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.