Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would I go about setting this essay out? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody! I am in total peril hahaha!

I am in year 2 of uni and I'm studying History and Creative Writing. Last year I did History as my elective and loved it so much I chose to continue doing it and drop English Literature instead so I haven't had a great amount of practice writing History essays. One of my History modules this semester is Tudor life in England and Wales. For one of our assignments, we have been given 3 questions to choose from and we have to write an essay on the question we choose. This essay IS in for November but I am swamped with work and I am trying to start stuff as soon as we get set it.

The question I have chosen is: Do you agree with the view that the Elizabethan period was a ‘glorious age’?

Now, I have been reading everywhere on how to write at least a 2:1 standard essay for History and every site contradicts the other so I have decided to ask you guys!

I understand the whole reference and bibliography because we did that english and to do reading and take what scholars say and quote it in the essay. I have done 2 hours worth of research today and found out the for's and against's of Elizabeth 1's reign and in my opinion, I do believe her reign was a golden one BUT I have all this but I don't know how to structure this essay. I have no idea how to get all this into essay form.

Please someone HELP!

ReputationRep:
    First paragraph should set out a little of the context of the question and introduce what your argument of the essay is.

Main body talk about your points for and against. Perhaps highlight a few writers' opinions you found interesting, and whether you agree/disagree. You could also use other writers to argue against this! It shows you have read a lot of the information, and applied it well.

End paragraph should summarise the main body and relate back to the question. Was there a defining point that swayed you to take one side? You could also suggest others areas for exploration.

ReputationRep:
    I am a tutor who also offers advice to students and so it will only be apt if I offer my help here.
    A history essay should take the normal format of introduction, body, and conclusion. However, there are a few things you must consider in all the three sections:
    1. Introduction: the introduction sets the stage for your argument. You need to start with the generals of the topic and make the reader know what you are about to discuss. The introduction must also contain a thesis statement which summarizes your main argument. The thesis argument is the gist of the whole essay and if you don't find it right, your essay is worthless.
    2. The body: Firstly, you should know that the whole body of your essay is meant to justify your thesis statement. You are presenting arguments from both the supporting and opposing sides of the thesis but using them to justify the thesis (your position). The body is obviously organized in paragraphs. Each paragraph ought to follow a particular format containing three parts:
    a). The topic statement: this is the first sentence of each paragraph. it states the main point of the whole paragraph. it must be succinct and precise, supporting the thesis.
    b). Evidence: this is where you justify the topic statement by referring to academic sources including books, journal articles, periodicals etc. Under this section, you must be sure to include both the opposing and supporting sides. If you support, for instance, you may want to counteract the opposing side with evidence too. This is a very important section of the essay since it carries the largest weight of your history essay.
    c). Conclusion/inference/deduction: this summarizes the implication of your analysis in the evidence section regarding the topic statement.

3. Conclusion: Here you summarize the overarching points in the main paper. it is often vital to restate the thesis statement in this section. However, refrain from introducing a new topic or aspect not discussed within the paper. It may also help not to use any citations here.

I hope this helped. Regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrankieTansley)
    Hi everybody! I am in total peril hahaha!

I am in year 2 of uni and I'm studying History and Creative Writing. Last year I did History as my elective and loved it so much I chose to continue doing it and drop English Literature instead so I haven't had a great amount of practice writing History essays. One of my History modules this semester is Tudor life in England and Wales. For one of our assignments, we have been given 3 questions to choose from and we have to write an essay on the question we choose. This essay IS in for November but I am swamped with work and I am trying to start stuff as soon as we get set it.

The question I have chosen is: Do you agree with the view that the Elizabethan period was a ‘glorious age’?

Now, I have been reading everywhere on how to write at least a 2:1 standard essay for History and every site contradicts the other so I have decided to ask you guys!

I understand the whole reference and bibliography because we did that english and to do reading and take what scholars say and quote it in the essay. I have done 2 hours worth of research today and found out the for's and against's of Elizabeth 1's reign and in my opinion, I do believe her reign was a golden one BUT I have all this but I don't know how to structure this essay. I have no idea how to get all this into essay form.

Please someone HELP!
    Define 'golden age'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.