Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am seriously considering dropping out of uni, for at least a gap year. However I am unsure about how my maintenance loan will be affected.
    I have been given my first payment of my maintenance loan in which half is for my accommodation, I have spoken to my uni and if i leave then i just have to pay a leaving fee and a room per night fee, however with the calculations it would not amount to the first payment i made for accommodation with my maintenance loan, therefore I was wondering if any one could help me in regards to if I would get a refund of the rest of my maintenance loan after paying my accommodation leaving fees? As well as this, my uni said they contact student finance, so therefore as long as i inform my uni about my departure, i wont need to contact sfe?
    Thank you.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly.fraser)
    I am seriously considering dropping out of uni, for at least a gap year. However I am unsure about how my maintenance loan will be affected.
    I have been given my first payment of my maintenance loan in which half is for my accommodation, I have spoken to my uni and if i leave then i just have to pay a leaving fee and a room per night fee, however with the calculations it would not amount to the first payment i made for accommodation with my maintenance loan, therefore I was wondering if any one could help me in regards to if I would get a refund of the rest of my maintenance loan after paying my accommodation leaving fees? As well as this, my uni said they contact student finance, so therefore as long as i inform my uni about my departure, i wont need to contact sfe?
    Thank you.
    Hi Molly.fraser

If you suspend your studies the university will advise us of your last date of attendance and your payments will stop.

Can I ask, are you withdrawing for health reasons.

Your entitlement will be reassessed on pro rata basis up, until last day of attendance.

We cannot help with accommodation costs, that is something you would need discuss with your provider.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.