The Student Room Group

What are some legal self defence weapons you can carry in the UK?

Ok so I am studying at Teesside Uni in Middlesbourgh atm and the ****ing tramps here are so aggresive its unreal, I have lived here 3 weeks and had about 12 scream at me for not giving them cash. On some occasions even looking into my pocket to see if I have any cash, at which point I push them away and they **** off.

However this **** is getting out of control as they wonder literally just outside our campus and neither campus secruity nor the poilce (I have not seen a single ****ing officer or PSCO anywhere in town or even a poilce car driving around) are doing anything.

I have started carrying my flip knife in my boot just incase but I would prefer something that could seriously harm them if they got physical that would not put me in jail. Cause the UK law on self defence is basically just let them do it and call the poilce after.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 285790854
Pepper Spray

That's not legal in the uk.
Dildo.
They can sense you're weak. You need to present yourself as more forceful and they'll leave you alone.

Start replacing the possessive determiner "my" for the objective first person singular pronoun "me", and make sure you've got your Nike Air Max tracksuit on at all times. Eschew all middle-class traits, such as washing, and you will blend right in.
It's not legal to carry anything for the purpose of self defense in the uk. Even something like a kubotan stick is illegal.

Maybe invest in a whistle? :smile:
Reply 5
The best legal defence weapon you can carry is some well grown sweaty hairy balls.
Reply 6
Normal UK police behaviour, just giving no ****s whatsoever about problems like these, in the US the cops would have kicked their asses.
Reply 7
Original post by Vanryth
Ok so I am studying at Teesside Uni in Middlesbourgh atm and the ****ing tramps here are so aggresive its unreal, I have lived here 3 weeks and had about 12 scream at me for not giving them cash. On some occasions even looking into my pocket to see if I have any cash, at which point I push them away and they **** off.

However this **** is getting out of control as they wonder literally just outside our campus and neither campus secruity nor the poilce (I have not seen a single ****ing officer or PSCO anywhere in town or even a poilce car driving around) are doing anything.

I have started carrying my flip knife in my boot just incase but I would prefer something that could seriously harm them if they got physical that would not put me in jail. Cause the UK law on self defence is basically just let them do it and call the poilce after.

Middlesbrough isn't that bad jesus christ...
psychology is all you need to defend against an assailant.
we have an innate instinct to defend our eyes so anything you can lay your hands on that can be thrown will do. The object does not have to cause harm itself because you use it as a distraction ie throw it at their eyes and they will instinctively put their hands up to protect their eyes. Then you kick them in the happysacks. Job done!
alternative you can be unpredictable. Most people fight with the upper body (especially face) as their target area. Kick their knees and the chances are it will drop them if you do it right (sweep) as knees are a joint and therefore susceptible to bending.
Original post by IWMTom
Middlesbrough isn't that bad jesus christ...

It is like.
Reply 10
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
It is like.

It's really not :')
Original post by IWMTom
It's really not :':wink:

It is relative. Compared to Mogadishu, it is positively charming. Compared to any place where the average person on the street has more than 3 teeth, it is quite uninspiring.
Reply 12
It is relative. Compared to Mogadishu, it is positively charming. Compared to any place where the average person on the street has more than 3 teeth, it is quite uninspiring.

The OP has ridiculously exaggerated in their description - it's rare to not see a police car on Linthorpe Road :wink:
Original post by IWMTom
The OP has ridiculously exaggerated in their description - it's rare to not see a police car on Linthorpe Road :wink:

It is not lie to say Cleveland Police is understaffed, to the extent OP isn't far wrong.
Reply 14
Nothing... you carry it for self defence it will almost unilaterally become an ipso facto offensive weapon and the police will make it their raison d'etre to roger you for it.

Original post by 285790854
Pepper Spray

You do know thats classed as a firearm?
Reply 15
It is not lie to say Cleveland Police is understaffed, to the extent OP isn't far wrong.

It's a tragic force, but the rest of the country is pretty tragic too. Public services are in dire straits - thanks austerity.

Regardless, the situation isn't as bad as OP makes out, especially around the uni campus. Most I've seen the dodgy "homeless" recently is by Sainsbury's but they seem to get moved on pretty regularly now; they aren't actually homeless.
You really shouldn't carry a knife.. Thats the best way to get yourself into serious trouble, either by police stopping you or getting the knife turned on yourself.

If you are really worried about personal safety consider signing up to a martial arts class so you can get yourself some defense skills.
If you're carrying a ball you can also legally carry a baseball bat - a baseball bat is not an offensive weapon unless there is reasonable doubt, and if you're carrying a ball then that doubt becomes a bit unreasonable unless you're seen being threatening with it or actually using it on somebody. Just try not to get it snatched off you by bullies or you're f***ed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
I hate to say it but Acid

It's not illegal to carry..., that's why all the gangs now carry it...
Reply 19
Original post by ANM775
I hate to say it but Acid

It's not illegal to carry..., that's why all the gangs now carry it...

For now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/acid-banned-carrying-public-amber-rudd-sales-under-18s-tory-party-conference-latest-a7980521.html

Latest

Trending

Trending