Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a PhD program and I'm taking a class which requires us to complete homework assignments. On the syllabus it says that homework is due prior to class. I had completed the homework a few days before class but hadn't emailed it to the professor yet so I ended up sending 4 hours before the class started. His response to my email was : GREAT... 11th hour finish. How rude/inappropriate do you think this is considering that the homework wasn't even past due?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bl8888)
    I'm in a PhD program and I'm taking a class which requires us to complete homework assignments. On the syllabus it says that homework is due prior to class. I had completed the homework a few days before class but hadn't emailed it to the professor yet so I ended up sending 4 hours before the class started. His response to my email was : GREAT... 11th hour finish. How rude/inappropriate do you think this is considering that the homework wasn't even past due?
    While the homework deadline was before the class the prof may have wanted to look at it to get an idea of how you did so you may not have given them enough time for that. Submitting things at the last minute is never helpful so that's a good thing to take on board. While the email is curt I wouldn't call it rude. Academia is a tough environment and you'll see lots of this as you go along so if you take offense to everything you won't last very long and will just be unhappy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bl8888)
    I would agree with alleycat393 here. At PhD level, the professor will be wanting to look through your work in advance of the next class so he can give you feedback. If there are several of you, he'll want to understand the approach(es) you've been taking and address any problems he's found in the way you've done the work. He can only do this if he has time to read the work properly.

I'd view his response as being terse rather than rude or inappropriate.

Your best bet would be to approach him and apologise for submitting so close to the deadline, and ask for clarification of when the latest time is for him to be able to deal with the work properly.

Yes, the syllabus is poorly worded, but this is probably one of those occurrences where the person who wrote it was looking at the world in a certain way (with "academic-tinted spectacles", you might say) and doesn't realise other people might (legitimately) interpret the words in a different way.

ReputationRep:
    The professor sounds like an idiot.

Send the homework in earlier next time but I certainly wouldn't apologise or give his response any further thought.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.