Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need help in determining how beneficial a 'target' uni is, in terms of employability at a top investment bank in the city, or even abroad in the USA soon after graduating, something which I am very interested in.

This issue brings me to the problem of deciding which universities I will be most suited and happy at. I understand LSE/UCL/Warwick are target universites for investment banks, in terms of job prospects and internships, and thus I will be applying to them with the hopes of receiving an offer this year. For the note I am on a gap year in which I am solely focusing most of my time on retaking my A-Levels after serious extenuating circumstances during the A2 exam period meant I received grades which were the opposite of what I had hoped for.

Provided I manage to get an offer from either of these universities for my desired course and manage to meet the entry requirements, I will be 19 years old upon entry into my first year. Now in terms of insurance choices, I am contemplating between Warwick, which will be either Management/A&F with a foundation year as I qualify for the criteria, or Bristol - which is a 'semi-target'.

I have always done reasonably well academically, so I hope that the foundation year at Warwick would not be too difficult for me to pass, and in the rare case that I somehow do end up failing, what would happen then? Another issue is that I feel that I may be too old at 20 to start a degree at Warwick, although the consensus online seems to be that 20 is fine. It is something at the back of my mind which annoys me every now and again. My parents are neither against or for a foundation year, but would prefer it if I have Bristol as a backup instead, as they feel it'd be odd how most friends which I have grown up with would have graduated two years earlier. However, I strongly want to put the Warwick degree with foundation year down as my insurance, provided that I am offered a place, purely because of its great graduate prospects?

What does everyone else think? Is starting university at 20 really an issue?

ReputationRep:
    Starting Uni at 20 is not an issue at all. It will only be an issue if you make it an issue .

ReputationRep:
    No one cares if you are 20. The only people who do are the people posting that they are 20.

I don't know anything about investment banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Anon 101)
    Starting Uni at 20 is not an issue at all. It will only be an issue if you make it an issue .
    I know, I just wanted other peoples opinions on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    There's people in my course who are 19/20+ and you really don't notice the difference

ReputationRep:
    no, my ibd grad cohort age range from 21-26
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    people assume i'm 18/19 even though I'm 20 in first year. doesn't mean anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I go to a uni where people are shocked by how 'young' I am. And that was since I told them I was 19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    people assume i'm 18/19 even though I'm 20 in first year. doesn't mean anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah it doesn’t seem like an issue. Will a uni such as Warwick have significant benefits in terms of graduate prospects at a BB over somewhere such as Bristol? Also, would Warwick be on par with UCL in this aspect too? I’m planning to apply for Information management for Business at UCL and either Management, International management or A&F at Warwick?

Thanks btw
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by prospectivemath)
    Yeah it doesn’t seem like an issue. Will a uni such as Warwick have significant benefits in terms of graduate prospects at a BB over somewhere such as Bristol? Also, would Warwick be on par with UCL in this aspect too? I’m planning to apply for Information management for Business at UCL and either Management, International management or A&F at Warwick?

Thanks btw
    Not really. I used to think it would but any of the targets/semis are good enough and get recruiting priority/events.

I wouldn't go somewhere like Warwick if you don't like the course or campus just because a few more banks recruit there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.