Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm really struggling to make friends, any advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I moved a long way from home a month ago to start uni and, though I get on fine with my flatmates, I haven't made any real friends yet, like the people I can go out with be it drinking or shopping. I try my best but I've never been the most sociable of people, usually only having one or two friends and it's really starting to make me feel lonely. I talk to friends from home on facebook and snapchat but it doesn't really help since they aren't here and almost all of my free time is spent alone. I have mild anxiety and struggle in certain situations and just have no idea what I can do. I don't want to spend the rest of my year feeling this *****y.

ReputationRep:
    Go out to a bar with your flatmates, strike up conversation in there, connect with people who like the same music and you'll have a bond for life. Music tends to be one of the biggest connections of people.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Try joining some societies in things that interest you or sports clubs. Also, keep sitting by people in classes and striking up conversation, I know it's difficult when you have anxiety but people do tend to become more closed off later on so you want to really try while it's still early. That isn't to say there's no hope later but I think it does become more challenging. Just be open and friendly and people will respond.

ReputationRep:
    I was like this when I went to uni. It gets easier, for sure! Societies are a good way to get to know people, because you immediately have that shared interest already. However mild it may be as well; I found walking out of class from tutorials was good because you will have spent an hour in a room with a small group of people talking about a subject so it makes it easier to keep a conversation flowing and you can develop small friendships.

If you’re really worried you could always talk to your university’s care service, sometimes they have small groups that meet that you might be able to join. Like knitting groups and things like that.

You’ll be fine, it gets easier over time!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.