Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm applying for psychology at university level, but I've never done psychology before. My supervisor told me I won't be at an advantage, (which I also think makes sense), but I'm not sure? My personal statement is probably the focus? Any opinions on this?

ReputationRep:
    You won't be disadvantaged exactly because typically the courses start with overview modules designed to bring everyone to the same basic level of knowledge. However, if you're worried, (and even if you're not worried, to be honest), I recommend looking for some books - either general psychology (such as Richard Gross's book) or something more specific focusing on an area of psychology that you personally are interested in. This serves the purpose of giving you some background knowledge, allowing you to see what interests you, AND, something relevant to mention on your personal statement.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As the above poster says, the first term/year is focused on getting everyone to the same level.

Even if you had done psych at A-level, a lot of the content is either different to what is studied at undergrad or is simplified version of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magdatrix >_<)
    You won't be disadvantaged exactly because typically the courses start with overview modules designed to bring everyone to the same basic level of knowledge. However, if you're worried, (and even if you're not worried, to be honest), I recommend looking for some books - either general psychology (such as Richard Gross's book) or something more specific focusing on an area of psychology that you personally are interested in. This serves the purpose of giving you some background knowledge, allowing you to see what interests you, AND, something relevant to mention on your personal statement.
    Thanks for the reply! I'm actually more concerned about my personal statement than studying the course itself orz I only made the decision quite recently, so I'm quite foreign to psychology :confused: so it's more difficult for me to express my interest in the subject ahh or at least I feel that way I tried reading The Language Instinct and it kinda brain-fried me ahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kistina Martin)
    Thanks for the reply! I'm actually more concerned about my personal statement than studying the course itself orz I only made the decision quite recently, so I'm quite foreign to psychology :confused: so it's more difficult for me to express my interest in the subject ahh or at least I feel that way I tried reading The Language Instinct and it kinda brain-fried me ahaha
    You could still mention that you've begun to read it, or mention something that you understood/enjoyed relevant to it - they don't expect you to be an expert, of course, just to show that you are interested (ind interestING!)

What sort of things attracted you to psychology?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.