Turn on thread page Beta

Transferring Major (Vietnam to America/Canada/UK) watch

    • Thread Starter

    My current major in VietNam university is the English Language. I want to study Hospitality or even the English Literature in foreign country( Australia, USA, Canada..) Do I have any chance? or if have, do i need any requirements for this Master program? Are there many scholarships about 50-80% for these course? Thank you
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    There is very limited funding for taught masters degrees in the UK and the US. Your best bet would probably be at the top universities, such as Oxford, Cambridge, the Ivy League etc. In the UK there is usually more funding for PhDs, although within "the arts" (including English Literature) it's normally more competitive due to far less funding availability. However there are also relatively few "taught" masters degrees in the US among the top colleges that offer such scholarships, and in the UK, within "the arts" there are usually very few taught courses and they are primarily research based masters programmes.

    Usually any funding will be for the full fees, if awarded, although there are some smaller scholarships (for example named scholarships or those offered by the colleges of Oxford and Cambridge individually). For PhDs, this normally also includes a maintenance stipend - the total value is normally equivalent to a starting graduate job (although it rarely increases year on year) and it's untaxed (all of this only applies to the UK).
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2017
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.