Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I moved to the UK when i was six and moved outside of the EU due to my fathers work in august 2015. I am a British National, however as i haven't been residing in the UK does this stop me from getting any sort of student loan? When in the UK i was living in the South-east and in London for some time too. I am in the process of applying to universities but not having any form of student loan will make that difficult, can my case be looked into as i moved due to my dads job? Also my dad comes back 1-2 times a year four roughly a month to work as a locum consultant, will this help my case in anyway as he is paying taxes in these visits?
    Also another add on, we own a house in England which was bought roughly 6/7 years ago. Im not sure if this is relevant but just incase.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iqrarahman)
    Hello everyone,

I moved to the UK when i was six and moved outside of the EU due to my fathers work in august 2015. I am a British National, however as i haven't been residing in the UK does this stop me from getting any sort of student loan? When in the UK i was living in the South-east and in London for some time too. I am in the process of applying to universities but not having any form of student loan will make that difficult, can my case be looked into as i moved due to my dads job? Also my dad comes back 1-2 times a year four roughly a month to work as a locum consultant, will this help my case in anyway as he is paying taxes in these visits?
    Also another add on, we own a house in England which was bought roughly 6/7 years ago. Im not sure if this is relevant but just incase.

Hi qrarahman,

To qualify for Higher Education support as a home student, you must meet the following standard residency requirements:

UK National
    • Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of th first academic year of the course and
    • be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

Depending on the circumstances the student may be eligible to apply for Student Support if they have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break.

Parents working abroad on a temporary contract of employment would be classed as a temporary break in residency.

You will be required to provide evidence of their temporary break e.g. contaract of employment showing start and end date, regardless of the length of time they were temporary absent for.

If you have emigrated to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland then that would not be classed as a temporary break in residency.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi qrarahman,

To qualify for Higher Education support as a home student, you must meet the following standard residency requirements:

UK National
    • Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of th first academic year of the course and
    • be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

Depending on the circumstances the student may be eligible to apply for Student Support if they have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break.

Parents working abroad on a temporary contract of employment would be classed as a temporary break in residency.

You will be required to provide evidence of their temporary break e.g. contaract of employment showing start and end date, regardless of the length of time they were temporary absent for.

If you have emigrated to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland then that would not be classed as a temporary break in residency.

Thanks Rona
    Rona,

Thankyou for the reply. I applied for student finance but the decided that i was ineligible and given my circumstances. In the application process i could not specify clearly that i was out of the country temporarily so what should i so now? Should i apply again?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iqrarahman)
    Rona,

Thankyou for the reply. I applied for student finance but the decided that i was ineligible and given my circumstances. In the application process i could not specify clearly that i was out of the country temporarily so what should i so now? Should i apply again?
    Hi iqrarahman,

What would not be classed as a temporary break?
    • People who emigrate to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland
    • People who are unable to satisfy SFE that their break was of a temporary nature

If you can provide more evidence that the break was temporary, you can send it to us and you can be confident it will be reviewed again by the assessors.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.