Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am doing a year abroad in Australia currently and I have received a travel grant for previous payments.

In my email giving entitlement of this there is a paragraph as follows:
    ‘Based on your term dates confirmed to us by your university or college you'll only be able to claim for travel between the UK and your university or college at the start and end of your time abroad, and for one other return journey.’

Currently I have return flights that need to be changed as the dates of return were not available when purchasing flights initially, this is all covered under my multi flex pass from STA I have.

My question is this, if I move that return flight earlier, return to the UK and then get another return from England to Australia is this covered under one other return journey? The confusion is due to the wording of the entitlement, as this states I can claim travel for the journey at the start and end of my time abroad and another return trip, however what I am trying to do here is have the start and end of time abroad journeys within different return flights.

This is quite a complex question to word so if this need clarification let me know. Look forward to a reply

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peterebath)
    Hi there,

I am doing a year abroad in Australia currently and I have received a travel grant for previous payments.

In my email giving entitlement of this there is a paragraph as follows:
    ‘Based on your term dates confirmed to us by your university or college you'll only be able to claim for travel between the UK and your university or college at the start and end of your time abroad, and for one other return journey.’

Currently I have return flights that need to be changed as the dates of return were not available when purchasing flights initially, this is all covered under my multi flex pass from STA I have.

My question is this, if I move that return flight earlier, return to the UK and then get another return from England to Australia is this covered under one other return journey? The confusion is due to the wording of the entitlement, as this states I can claim travel for the journey at the start and end of my time abroad and another return trip, however what I am trying to do here is have the start and end of time abroad journeys within different return flights.

This is quite a complex question to word so if this need clarification let me know. Look forward to a reply

Thanks
    Hi peterebath,

I am checking that information for you, will update you when I receive a response ,

for clarification

can you detail your intinerary.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona

So currently my return flight is booked for 20th March as July (end of year abroad) flights were not available at time of booking.

My hope is to move this return flight to Feb 17th. Following this book another return trip leaving UK early march and returning to England at the end of my year abroad - July

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona

So currently my return flight is booked for 20th March as July (end of year abroad) flights were not available at time of booking.

My hope is to move this return flight to Feb 17th. Following this book another return trip leaving UK early march and returning to England at the end of my year abroad - July

Thanks
    Hi peterebath,

As your enquiry is more complex, I advise that you give us a call on

Tel: 0300 100 0607

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately my phone plan has no international minutes so I can't call from Australia hence I came to student room to ask my question.Could you advise me what to do

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately my phone plan has no international minutes so I can't call from Australia hence I came to student room to ask my question.Could you advise me what to do
    Hi peterebath,

With regard to flight allowance, when the travel grant team receive confirmation of the study period abroad, it is their practice to inform the student of the number of journeys they can claim based on the study dates abroad.

I have forwarded your query to the Travel Grant Team and will advise you of their response when they come back to me.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    The issue I'm having though is instead of a flight allowance in terms of number of flights the wording used sounds specific with respect to which return flights are connected with the outbound flights.

Great thankyou for your help, look forward to hearing the response.

(Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi peterebath,

With regard to flight allowance, when the travel grant team receive confirmation of the study period abroad, it is their practice to inform the student of the number of journeys they can claim based on the study dates abroad.

I have forwarded your query to the Travel Grant Team and will advise you of their response when they come back to me.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    The issue I'm having though is instead of a flight allowance in terms of number of flights the wording used sounds specific with respect to which return flights are connected with the outbound flights.

Great thankyou for your help, look forward to hearing the response.
    Hi peterebath,

You are welcome.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,

Have you heard anything from the travel grant team yet?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,

Have you heard anything from the travel grant team yet?

Thanks

Hi Peterbath,

The travel grant team have responded to your query with the following information :

" On the understanding is that, the student is using the multiflex pass to change return date from June to December for example and then booking another return journey UK to Australia in Jan/Feb returning back to UK in June. If that is the case, then that's fine. "

I hope this answers your query.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.