Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Nurse with no student loan Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've recently started my undergraduate course in childrens nursing. I live at home but travel about an hour and a half each morning to university. I do have a part time job, but this is quite few hours due to studying comittments and minimum wage. My Dad told me not to apply for a student loan (maintenence/living) because he was worried about the massive debt I'll have anyway just with my tuition fees. I am worried because when it comes to placement I might not be able to carry out a part time job aswell. So even though my parents are very supportive in helping me pay for petrol etc, I still feel I should be independent.
    I know you have to start paying your student loan back once you earn over a certain amount, but I heard there's no guarantee I'll pay it all back. If I get a stdent loan to just help me live my life... will I notice I massive deduction on my payslip when I'm a graduate nurse?

THank you everyone!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by x.BlueEyedGirl.x)
    Hi,
    I've recently started my undergraduate course in childrens nursing. I live at home but travel about an hour and a half each morning to university. I do have a part time job, but this is quite few hours due to studying comittments and minimum wage. My Dad told me not to apply for a student loan (maintenence/living) because he was worried about the massive debt I'll have anyway just with my tuition fees. I am worried because when it comes to placement I might not be able to carry out a part time job aswell. So even though my parents are very supportive in helping me pay for petrol etc, I still feel I should be independent.
    I know you have to start paying your student loan back once you earn over a certain amount, but I heard there's no guarantee I'll pay it all back. If I get a stdent loan to just help me live my life... will I notice I massive deduction on my payslip when I'm a graduate nurse?

THank you everyone!
    Your dad has misinformed you.

Its wrong to think of it in terms of normal debt, it is not.
    Over 70% of students will never pay the money back and its written off after 30 years.

You only start to repay back once you start earning over £21k and thats soon to be changed to 25k and then its 9% of the amount above that. So no you wont have massive repayments to make.

Working part time takes away from the time you have to study so be careful by avoiding a few thousand pounds worth of debt you dont put your whole degree in danger.

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.u...90&_dad=portal

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...n-fees-changes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.