Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am currenlty on my second year of alvels and i am doing Biology, chemistry and psychology. i am predicted AAA
    for uni i am stuck between two courses audiology and psychology
    i enjoy psychology as a subject and would really like to become one but i am unsure about what after uni and also i dont like how long it takes you become a clinical psychologist or therapist.
    audiology is a job i am really intrested in. and a big advantage is that once you finish your 3 years you are qualified. but the problem with audiology is that i want to stay home, so i would only want to go to manchester. most of the other uni are south and theres leeds but i dont really want to go there.

so what should i choose? my college wont let me put audioloy as my first in manchester and psychology as the rest becuase they say its indescive and limits me which is true. so what do i do. i need to decide by the next few weeks so i can apply
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It would probably take at least 5 years (2 years work experience, 3 year doctorate) to become a clinical psych. You don't need a degree to be a counsellor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    It would probably take at least 5 years (2 years work experience, 3 year doctorate) to become a clinical psych. You don't need a degree to be a counsellor
    i think counsellor wouldn't be a career i actively sought out . and according to the nhs i would need to do 3 years at uni thats without a year of work experience and then apply to nhs training program which is another 3 years.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noor_butt)
    i think counsellor wouldn't be a career i actively sought out . and according to the nhs i would need to do 3 years at uni thats without a year of work experience and then apply to nhs training program which is another 3 years.
    You can do counselling courses elsewhere without a degree. I'm not suggesting that this is something you can do, just saying what the requirements are. The nhs will have their own requirements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, firstly I think you are thinking of counselling psychologist, which does need you to have done a BPS accredited undergraduate psychology degree and then a counselling DPsych (similar route to clinical), whereas counselling/psychotherapy you don't need a degree for you just do certain diplomas

Secondly, I did a psychology undergraduate degree and am now applying for audiology masters! Take from that what you will. A degree in psychology is seen as relevant for audiology though, some of the work does have counselling elements.

I loved how broad psychology was and it was so interesting, don't regret studying it at all, however the career prospects for audiology are more attractive for me and what I desire. I'd say you should try work experience/shadowing for both an audiologist and a psychologist/therapist if you can to help you decide and perhaps take on board my own experience.

It's worth mentioning that it is possible to do a postgraduate psychology conversion course if you don't take it for undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you apply for medicine with those grades? Psychology and audiology are really dead end degrees. You'll thank me £28,000 later.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.