Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i am currenlty on my second year of alvels and i am doing Biology, chemistry and psychology. i am predicted AAA
    for uni i am stuck between two courses audiology and psychology
    i enjoy psychology as a subject and would really like to become one but i am unsure about what after uni and also i dont like how long it takes you become a clinical psychologist or therapist.
    audiology is a job i am really intrested in. and a big advantage is that once you finish your 3 years you are qualified. but the problem with audiology is that i want to stay home, so i would only want to go to manchester. most of the other uni are south and theres leeds but i dont really want to go there.

so what should i choose? my college wont let me put audioloy as my first in manchester and psychology as the rest becuase they say its indescive and limits me which is true. so what do i do. i need to decide by the next few weeks so i can apply
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It would probably take at least 5 years (2 years work experience, 3 year doctorate) to become a clinical psych. You don't need a degree to be a counsellor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    It would probably take at least 5 years (2 years work experience, 3 year doctorate) to become a clinical psych. You don't need a degree to be a counsellor
    i think counsellor wouldn't be a career i actively sought out . and according to the nhs i would need to do 3 years at uni thats without a year of work experience and then apply to nhs training program which is another 3 years.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by noor_butt)
    i think counsellor wouldn't be a career i actively sought out . and according to the nhs i would need to do 3 years at uni thats without a year of work experience and then apply to nhs training program which is another 3 years.
    You can do counselling courses elsewhere without a degree. I'm not suggesting that this is something you can do, just saying what the requirements are. The nhs will have their own requirements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, firstly I think you are thinking of counselling psychologist, which does need you to have done a BPS accredited undergraduate psychology degree and then a counselling DPsych (similar route to clinical), whereas counselling/psychotherapy you don't need a degree for you just do certain diplomas

Secondly, I did a psychology undergraduate degree and am now applying for audiology masters! Take from that what you will. A degree in psychology is seen as relevant for audiology though, some of the work does have counselling elements.

I loved how broad psychology was and it was so interesting, don't regret studying it at all, however the career prospects for audiology are more attractive for me and what I desire. I'd say you should try work experience/shadowing for both an audiologist and a psychologist/therapist if you can to help you decide and perhaps take on board my own experience.

It's worth mentioning that it is possible to do a postgraduate psychology conversion course if you don't take it for undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you apply for medicine with those grades? Psychology and audiology are really dead end degrees. You'll thank me £28,000 later.

ReputationRep:
    Omg I'm in the same boat as you! I'm only applying to two audiology unis so manchester and Leeds as I have to live at home and then I'm applying for psychology at Manchester, man met and liverpool! Hoping to get an offer for audiology at Manchester uni!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelsrhardd)
    Omg I'm in the same boat as you! I'm only applying to two audiology unis so manchester and Leeds as I have to live at home and then I'm applying for psychology at Manchester, man met and liverpool! Hoping to get an offer for audiology at Manchester uni!
    hey have you had any offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noor_butt)
    hey have you had any offers
    hey, i have yes! ive got an unconditional from salford, an unconditional if firm from man met and a conditional offer from Manchester uni. These are all for psychology.

I have also received a conditional offer from Leeds for audiology and have an interview for audiology at Manchester uni in about a week.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelsrhardd)
    hey, i have yes! ive got an unconditional from salford, an unconditional if firm from man met and a conditional offer from Manchester uni. These are all for psychology.

I have also received a conditional offer from Leeds for audiology and have an interview for audiology at Manchester uni in about a week.

What about you?
    congrats, in the end i decided to go with psychology, and got a mix of conditional and unconditional offers from all the universities. but i think i'm going to go with Manchester university.

just praying i can now get the grades.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.