Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NHS Flying Start is now compulsory for newly qualified nurses working in Scotland Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    NHS Education for Scotland have redeveloped the Flying Start programme for newly qualified nurses. The programme takes a year to complete and the Scottish Government have now stated that this will be mandatory for nurses qualifying in 2018. Previously, the programme was optional, however there are talks that failure to complete the programme may prevent promotion of newly qualified staff.

Do you have questions about Flying Start?

How do you feel about mandatory CPD?

ReputationRep:
    rubbish much better mentored. they tried to get the wife to do it when we first moved up here. she escaped it because she was doing a degree and advance life support. a newly qualified needs support more than a online course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte's Web)
    NHS Education for Scotland have redeveloped the Flying Start programme for newly qualified nurses. The programme takes a year to complete and the Scottish Government have now stated that this will be mandatory for nurses qualifying in 2018. Previously, the programme was optional, however there are talks that failure to complete the programme may prevent promotion of newly qualified staff.

Do you have questions about Flying Start?

How do you feel about mandatory CPD?
    Tbh, a year post qualification is too soon to be going for a band 6. I don't know what this programme entails, but my own trusts preceptorship programme is a piece of piss, if a nurse was struggling to pass it I'd question whether they should be in the job at all.

CPD is essential to ensuring current and up to date knowledge as a professional, I don't think we're expected to do enough, but then funding for it has been slashed in most places.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Tbh, a year post qualification is too soon to be going for a band 6. I don't know what this programme entails, but my own trusts preceptorship programme is a piece of piss, if a nurse was struggling to pass it I'd question whether they should be in the job at all.

CPD is essential to ensuring current and up to date knowledge as a professional, I don't think we're expected to do enough, but then funding for it has been slashed in most places.
    I thought so myself, I'm not sure if that's just the way they worded it. Hopefully they are talking about applying for band 6 roles with experience too.

Flying Start is relatively easy, it's a lot of reflective accounts but there is a full year's worth of work and lots of students in the past have been a bit overwhelmed by it. Lack of protected time to complete it means a lot do struggle with the volume of work required. Lots of students don't start it immediately upon qualifying which gives them less than a year to complete.

It's designed to run alongside the employer's own preceptorship, with the idea that all of the work done in the preceptorship can be added into the Flying Start portfolio. I personally didn't think this was really the case although I didn't start off in the NHS, so maybe their preceptorships are more in line with the Flying Start programme.

I think one of the main issues is that the resources for CPD after Flying Start are pretty poor and so unstructured that staff are unlikely to do more unless required to do so by managers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte's Web)
    I thought so myself, I'm not sure if that's just the way they worded it. Hopefully they are talking about applying for band 6 roles with experience too.

Flying Start is relatively easy, it's a lot of reflective accounts but there is a full year's worth of work and lots of students in the past have been a bit overwhelmed by it. Lack of protected time to complete it means a lot do struggle with the volume of work required. Lots of students don't start it immediately upon qualifying which gives them less than a year to complete.

It's designed to run alongside the employer's own preceptorship, with the idea that all of the work done in the preceptorship can be added into the Flying Start portfolio. I personally didn't think this was really the case although I didn't start off in the NHS, so maybe their preceptorships are more in line with the Flying Start programme.

I think one of the main issues is that the resources for CPD after Flying Start are pretty poor and so unstructured that staff are unlikely to do more unless required to do so by managers.
    I think they may have been trialling that flying start thing on a few people when I was an NQ nurse, I'm not familiar with the content so can't really comment on the programme itself. I've looked at my current trust's preceptorship workbook and some of it are things I'd expect a first year, first placement student to be aware of doing.

The NMC are looking at overhauling the content of prereg education, I wonder if they'll look at postreg after that (I doubt it tbh). There's very little structure to post reg education and training, where I work in critical care, we tend to be one of the more structured areas, however, due to finance and course places there are bottlenecks slowing down people's career progression. I think there are often situations where people are promoted into senior roles more because their face fits rather than they have the relevant experience. While the interview process is supposed to avoid this, there is still a fair amount of nepotism, and it's got more woolly in interviews since they've moved to a lot of values based questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.