Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Oct 11th: Are you getting enough sleep? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    Are you getting enough sleep?

On this week’s Surgery we’re talking about sleep.

Are you getting enough? Do you struggle to sleep? Or are you sleeping too much? Is your sleep pattern erratic or out of sync? We’re exploring how sleep can affect other parts of our lives, like our mental health. Let us know what your experiences are, and we’ll try to help you on the show.

Please note you can post anonymously
    I sleep too much lmao. If I get less than 10 hours of sleep I'm dead. Hence why uni life and having 9am lectures doesn't work well for me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I have this app called sleep cycle on my phone and it helps me tract my sleeping patterns. It tells you how long you we're on bed and sleep quality. Since I have this, it motivates me to sleep at least 7-8 hours a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    I usually sleep for 4-5 hours each night, and it has no impact on my day to day routine.
    Name:  dde01a7a92aa19b4972b4fb097b332686e4ba1f0771b47994b0f28c71f175383.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  61.8 KB

Had 4.5 hours of sleep today

Bit too much 8-9 hours and then I take naps which last like 3 hours. Mental health is all over the place probably because of that.

ReputationRep:

Are you getting enough? Do you struggle to sleep? Or are you sleeping too much? Is your sleep pattern erratic or out of sync? We’re exploring how sleep can affect other parts of our lives, like our mental health. Let us know what your experiences are, and we’ll try to help you on the show.

I don't think I'm getting enough sleep.. Max.8 hours if I'm lucky. And there are times that I'm so tired that I can't even sleep if this makes sence.. I usually need about 15 to 30 minutes to fall asleep and I wake up once or none during tbe night

ReputationRep:
    I usually get 6 hours of sleep, although I'm in bed by 11 o'clock. I just can't seem to fall asleep despite waking up at 7 for school.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get enough sleep, around 6 hours on a school night which I know is not enough. I am studying for my A-levels right now and I'm worried that my grades may suffer because of my lack of sleep. However, I live really far away from my school so I have to wake up early to take the bus and with so much work to do after school, I don't have the chance to go to sleep at a reasonable time. I believe schools etc. should start like an hour later, don't our brains not start working until a specific time anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I really struggle sleeping quite a lot. I mostly struggle sleeping on school nights not sure why I think its the thought of waking up early . Also , on weekends I can sleep completely fine especially when I know I’m not at school the next day

(Original post by ceryscarter)
    I really struggle sleeping quite a lot. I mostly struggle sleeping on school nights not sure why I think its the thought of waking up early . Also , on weekends I can sleep completely fine especially when I know I’m not at school the next day
    I’m literally exactly the same as you. I could never sleep on school nights (now uni nights) but on weekends I was fine. I have to stay up until 2 or 3am just to exhaust myself so I can get some sleep because if I go to bed earlier than that then I can’t sleep at all even if I’m tired because I just can’t switch my brain off. I have to physically exhaust myself before I can sleep

(Original post by ceryscarter)
    I’m literally exactly the same as you. I could never sleep on school nights (now uni nights) but on weekends I was fine. I have to stay up until 2 or 3am just to exhaust myself so I can get some sleep because if I go to bed earlier than that then I can’t sleep at all because I just can’t switch my brain off.

ReputationRep:

I'm in a room which used to be an attic so the insulation isn't great. Often I have to stay up to ensure the radiators' heat output is at equilibrium with thermal losses so that I don't get woken by temperature changes in the night. It's quite finicky and it is sleep-disruptive to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    I find that when I'm at home from uni I always go bed before 12 very sleepy. when I'm at uni I gradually start to struggle to sleep and end up going to sleep later and later. Naturally, I'm always very tired the next day.

ReputationRep:
    I sleep way too much in opinion, **** the system where you have to get up early in the morning to get to school

ReputationRep:
    I sleep for about 6-7 hours and that does me.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, lately 9 hours not enough to feel full of energy, I guess it is because of winter weather and grey days.
    Hopefully spring will come sonner than expected

ReputationRep:
    About 7 hours a day?

I'm a nocturnal person, so I've always been like this. Can't go to sleep before 1:30 am minimum. Usually, it's closer to 2-2:30 am.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.