Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK so I really want to study Russian. I thought about doing a combination with either International Relations or Spanish. BUT I always feel like I'm more passionate about Russian and I'm just putting another one in just as a filler. Ive heard students say that Russian is extremely difficult as a degree which makes me think I should do it as a single but i just don't think it's worth much then. Is a single language degree worth something? What if it's a "hard" language? **I have studied Russian before**
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by December126)
    OK so I really want to study Russian. I thought about doing a combination with either International Relations or Spanish. BUT I always feel like I'm more passionate about Russian and I'm just putting another one in just as a filler. Ive heard students say that Russian is extremely difficult as a degree which makes me think I should do it as a single but i just don't think it's worth much then. Is a single language degree worth something? What if it's a "hard" language? **I have studied Russian before**
    What do you mean worth something?

You mean employement wise?

You will have to decide whether you can find a job where you can use your language directly. A lot will be dependent on our relations with Russia and the amount if business we do.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7329201.html

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...dern-languages
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hiya:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    A single honours language degree is worth something, yes. If you only want to study Russian then do it. The number of language learning modules / hours spent learning and practising Russian will be about the same whether you do a single or joint honours degree. If you do a single hons degree then you will just do more filler modules (Russian history, politics, society, literature etc).

ReputationRep:
    realistically, why? Russia is not a great country to live in; and the language is very hard and difficult to get fluent in 3 years and if you aren't fluent then there's not really any point.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CGSW)
    realistically, why? Russia is not a great country to live in; and the language is very hard and difficult to get fluent in 3 years and if you aren't fluent then there's not really any point.
    This is not true at all. It is possible, if you put in the work, to become fluent in four years (language degrees last four years, not three). One doesn't necessarily learn Russian to live in Russia, there are all kinds of jobs in the UK, Europe and elsewhere where knowledge of Russian is a definite advantage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.