Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

British Council language assistants - transfers/quitting early Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I made another post similar to this one a few days ago but it was about leaving my year abroad full stop - this post is slightly different.

Basically to cut a long story short I'm working as a BC language assistant in the south of Spain in a small town which I'm not really enjoying that much. There are very few things to do, I don't really have any friends or people my own age, and I'm feeling mentally and physically down most of the time.

Originally I wanted to just try to come home early full stop but I've been considering my options and a few new things crossed my mind. Does anyone have any advice or stories about former language assistants who have either asked for a transfer to another school, or who have quit their job and found another one for the rest of their time in Spain? I have contacts through my boyfriend who could apparently have me in Malaga - even though I want to come home, I think being in a bigger city with a lot more to do would be wonderful for the anxiety I'm having right now. If that fails, however, I guess my only option is to ask for a transfer to another school in a bigger place but that seems like a long shot - has anyone been in the same boat who can offer me some advice?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi . Did you find your position through the CIEP ?

ReputationRep:
    Oh i just read the title so it’s through the British council. Can you please let me know about you situation Because i’m Currently in a similar one .Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miiie)
    Oh i just read the title so it’s through the British council. Can you please let me know about you situation Because i’m Currently in a similar one .Thanks
    Hey! So I’ve ended up just deciding that I’m most likely not going to return after xmas - I spoke to my mentor about how I was feeling and he was surprisingly understanding and very sympathetic, he even said there’s no point in me staying out here until June if I’m not enjoying it. Obviously they don’t want me to leave but if I give them enough notice they may be able to ask for another assistant for the new year, I’m not sure. I think it massively depends on your school though because I’ve heard some really frightening horror stories on fb pages etc about some people’s experiences!!
    In terms of my studies I’m going to work with family friends in France, my uni are making me do a full seven months there from January to July (for joint languages the time is split between 3 months for one language and 7 for the other, obviously by xmas I’ll have done three months here so it technically satisfies those requirements). It sucks that I can’t split it up as I originally wanted to but I’ll be with people I know and it’s only two months longer!

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok ! So we made the same decision because I am not going to come back after xmas neither . But I am a bit anxious about how to tell it to my head teacher . It is a really nice person and also very professional. Thank you for your answer btw

ReputationRep:
    Don’t be anxious, just explain the situation and that you don’t want to return. Can I ask what’s causing you to not want to return? For me being out here is affecting my mental health in a really negative way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukemcw97)
    Don’t be anxious, just explain the situation and that you don’t want to return. Can I ask what’s causing you to not want to return? For me being out here is affecting my mental health in a really negative way.
    Same thing for me . I m getting sad to be here . It was supposed to be a good experience for my career but actually I m just getting angry at everything .. I’ve lost my motivation. The city where I work is not what I expected at all. So yes it’s getting frustrating and I m counting the days ..

ReputationRep:
    I totally get what you mean, that’s exactly how I’m feeling and I’ve had a whole range of emotions - sadness, frustration, anger, lack of motivation, you name it, I’ve had it! I hope your mentor is understanding but even if they’re not don’t worry - you need to do what’s best for you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.