The Student Room Group

Personal Statement, Talking about my academics? Uhhh D:

I guess I have a decent structured personal Statement.
Introduction -
A bit about myself
The course I am ardent to study
A bit about my personal experience (not too deep yet not too basic, it links with why I want to do my course)

Second para -
Academics
Talk about my main subject which will allow me access to the course
I talk briefly about my own independent research which will help me in uni.

Paragraph 3-
Academics
I spoke about how my other irrelevant subjects will actually help me during university e.g. group work and self-management

Pararaph 4-
News Article/Personal attributes
In-depth.

Paragraph 5-
Work experience
I gave examples and skills that I have gained and why its important for uni

Paragraph 6-
Very deep personal experience
I gave examples and why the experience is relevant to my course

And thats it... Bearing in mind all the things I have spoken about relate to my course.

I am just stuck on how to extend on the paragraph about my academics!!!! Like, I don't want to be in-depth and talk about the topic that I have mentioned e.g. Atoms (I did not choose atoms as my own independent research, I am just giving an example because i dont want my work to be plagiarised lmao, safety is priority guys)...But I did talk about how independent research will help me in university
Reply 1
Original post by aj89754
I guess I have a decent structured personal Statement.
Introduction -
A bit about myself
The course I am ardent to study
A bit about my personal experience (not too deep yet not too basic, it links with why I want to do my course)

Second para -
Academics
Talk about my main subject which will allow me access to the course
I talk briefly about my own independent research which will help me in uni.

Paragraph 3-
Academics
I spoke about how my other irrelevant subjects will actually help me during university e.g. group work and self-management

Pararaph 4-
News Article/Personal attributes
In-depth.

Paragraph 5-
Work experience
I gave examples and skills that I have gained and why its important for uni

Paragraph 6-
Very deep personal experience
I gave examples and why the experience is relevant to my course

And thats it... Bearing in mind all the things I have spoken about relate to my course.

I am just stuck on how to extend on the paragraph about my academics!!!! Like, I don't want to be in-depth and talk about the topic that I have mentioned e.g. Atoms (I did not choose atoms as my own independent research, I am just giving an example because i dont want my work to be plagiarised lmao, safety is priority guys)...But I did talk about how independent research will help me in university

"A bit about myself" is probably irrelevant. They already have most of the information that they need in the other sections of the UCAS form, so your PS is supposed to be showing why you want to study the subject.

You don't need to talk about your A Level subjects. The unis already know that maths gives you maths skills. If it's a relevant subject then they know what skills are useful, so you don't need to mention that. If it's an irrelevant subject then it's irrelevant, so you don't need to tell them that either. Unis don't care that you think you can use interpretive dance to communicate with patients, or that you now have a better understanding of the artistic requirements in setting up a biology experiment.

You need to focus on why you want to study the subject. You need to think about how you know it's the right subject for you. What have you done to consolidate your interest? You might have read a book, or watched a TV programme, or covered a similar topic in your previous studies. You might really be looking forward to one of the modules you'll be studying.
Everything I've read contradicts everything else. I wrote a personal statement built around my passion and linked relevant recent volunteering and work experience on wider reading. I then got told by my college I should include skills I've learnt from my A Levels too but it feels so irrelevant.

Everyone seems to have different ideas on the perfect personal statement that I've decided that any feedback that isn't SPaG related I should just ignore. If you haven't included wider reading perhaps include that, but as long as you get across that you love the subject, that you will make a good candidate and you can balance your time with other things e.g volunteering or DofE your statement should be sound.

Quick Reply

Latest