Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just began my MSc Psychology (conversion), something I wanted to do for a while. I am happy and excited at the prospect about getting to my career goal and learning again, but I am finding it very tough to get back into the swing of higher education.

I feel as though I do not have enough time at the moment to study as much as I need to/want to because of work (I cannot reduce my working hours any further by the way!), so I try to study for a few hours before work, but I am always so tired and consequently not being productive. I also have a medical condition which hugely affects my energy levels and productivity due to tiredness.

I really want to get the best possible grade and really emmerse myself into the subject, but I'm scared I won't be good enough because of work/lack of motivation/exhaustion.

Any tips on how I can successfully balance all of this?? Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catk90)
    I have just began my MSc Psychology (conversion), something I wanted to do for a while. I am happy and excited at the prospect about getting to my career goal and learning again, but I am finding it very tough to get back into the swing of higher education.

I feel as though I do not have enough time at the moment to study as much as I need to/want to because of work (I cannot reduce my working hours any further by the way!), so I try to study for a few hours before work, but I am always so tired and consequently not being productive. I also have a medical condition which hugely affects my energy levels and productivity due to tiredness.

I really want to get the best possible grade and really emmerse myself into the subject, but I'm scared I won't be good enough because of work/lack of motivation/exhaustion.

Any tips on how I can successfully balance all of this?? Thanks!
    This sounds tough! I understand how you feel as I'm also very enthusiastic about studying, but find that fatigue, mental health issues and work mean that I can't study as much as I wish I was able to.

I haven't found an exact solution yet although I'm working on it. Do you work full or part time? Do you have any days off? What about contact hours at uni?

My current solution is to study in between lectures and seminars when I do have a break, dedicate days off to studying or even a morning/night off (I'll read a book in bed whilst writing notes for example, which means I'm not spending too much energy on it either), and to take breaks (including naps) that help me to be more productive when I'm actually up again.

Scheduling is really helpful for staying on track/up to date with reading and working on uni work. For example if I'm starting work at 2pm, I'll wake up at 9am and say to myself 'I'm reading these two chapters and taking notes up until half 11', then I'll have a break for lunch, get other errands done before work and head off. Although it still might not seem ideal it works - it just depends on your work schedule too!

Make sure you're looking after yourself, drinking and eating enough, getting enough sleep and exercising and looking after your mental health too, as these can really affect your body, mind and ability to cope with everything. Making time for yourself makes your time studying more productive and actually fun instead of stressful!

I hope you're getting on well.

Ellie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.