Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reapplying - Do I need to rewrite my personal statement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at university but I'm going to withdraw and reapply for 2018 entry to somewhere with a better course. Do I need to rewrite my old personal statement or can I just send off the same one I used before??
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If you re-use your personal statement, despite you yourself writing it, it would pick up on the plagiarism scans.

It's best to use your PS as a framework, rather than copy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    If you re-use your personal statement, despite you yourself writing it, it would pick up on the plagiarism scans.

It's best to use your PS as a framework, rather than copy it.
    Okay thanks, so it's probably best if I change a few sentences and words around? As long as I can keep the main concepts and certain sentences in.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KobraaKid)
    Okay thanks, so it's probably best if I change a few sentences and words around? As long as I can keep the main concepts and certain sentences in.
    Ignore EricAteYou. If it's your personal statement it will not flag up for plagiarism - unless someone else has copied it.

You will need to update your PS to reflect the fact that you're now a year older and more mature, but don't have to rewrite the whole thing unless you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Ignore EricAteYou. If it's your personal statement it will not flag up for plagiarism - unless someone else has copied it.

You will need to update your PS to reflect the fact that you're now a year older and more mature, but don't have to rewrite the whole thing unless you want to.
    Yeah I spoke to someone at my uni and they basically said the same thing, apparently UCAS knows you've applied before so it's fine with it being generally the same.

I'll definitely update it a bit as well. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    UCAS has a dedicated plagiarism team. This team does everything manually so if they see that someone with a same or similar name has applied previously for the same course with similar/identical personal details, they will mark this as the same person. In the unlikely event that you managed to slip through the system (eg changing gender marker and name without ticking the trans box both times), you could notify your chosen university and UCAS to explain the situation and provide proof of identity, meaning your university would ignore the (self-)plagiarism notice. Hope that helps!

tl;dr you might to change your PS or aspects of it, but it isn't necessary with regards to the plagiarism recognition process

ReputationRep:
    Seems to be some conflicting responses on here, but I'm in the same situation. Is it alright to use basically the same statement, with one or two things added/changed, if applying for a course you applied for previously, with the same name etc? If someone from UCAS could answer that'd be great.

ReputationRep:
    I called UCAS up and they said that when you reapply you get a new student id number but once it processes, it goes back to your old one so the system knows you applied to uni before. Then she said you can use the same personal statement as before because they know you applied before and didn't just copy some random personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.