Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

As pharmacology is such niche subject I thought it would be cool if I made a little forum? Not sure how many people will find this?
    But yeah - so I'm going to be applying sending off my ucas some point next week and I'm applying for Southampton, Bristol, Bath, East Anglia and Portsmouth, all for Bsc Pharmacology. My fave at the mo is Southampton because I want to live at home and its only a half hour train ride!
    Maybe we could let each other know where we are applying to and where we get offers and stuff?

-Yasmin

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm thinking of applying to Birmingham for their Chemistry with Pharmacology course, but I'm visiting soon to find out a bit more about it!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Awesome, that sounds fun, let me know what it’s like when you go! I’m not actually going to any open days and I’m not sure if that’s a mistake?

ReputationRep:
    I will do! Personally I've found the open days helpful and also not at the same time, as I'm still super confused about which will be my first choice :/ I'm sure you'll be happy at whichever uni you pick tbh!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that’s what I’m thinking, are you applying for any other courses with pharmacology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminbennette)
    Hi!

As pharmacology is such niche subject I thought it would be cool if I made a little forum? Not sure how many people will find this?
    But yeah - so I'm going to be applying sending off my ucas some point next week and I'm applying for Southampton, Bristol, Bath, East Anglia and Portsmouth, all for Bsc Pharmacology. My fave at the mo is Southampton because I want to live at home and its only a half hour train ride!
    Maybe we could let each other know where we are applying to and where we get offers and stuff?

-Yasmin
    Hi!

Omgee I've been waiting for a threat like this to show up!!

I'm planning to send of my application to UCAS by the end of this week and my choices are
    -Bath
    -Kings College London
    - Leeds
    - UEA
    - Nottingham Trent

I'm so excited to get see if I get any offers! What are you looking forward to about pharmacology?

Lii XX

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh hello!

Yeah I saw one that someone made last year when I was researching pharmacology and wondered in anyone would make one this year? In the end I just made one myself!
    Ah awesome so we’re applying to a few of the same ones, I’ve just sent mine off just waiting on my tutor to do my reference then it’s gone!
    Oooo wow what am I looking forward to? Honestly all of it really, I suppose just the fact that I’ll be getting to explore something that I’m enjoying at alevel in depth, it’s exciting to think that what we could end up doing could really help people! What about you?
    Ps: we’ll have to let each other know when we get offers and stuff as we are sending ours off at similar times!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Although I am applying for dentistry one of my options is Pharmacology at UCL . I have just sent off my application. Do you guys know of the job prospects for pharmcology , I have reseached it but not much comes up.

Anyway I am really pleased someone made a thread . Let's keep each other updated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    From what I have seen it opens a lot of doors, you can go in other branches of science like biomed, analytical chemistry and toxicology quite easily as well as the more obvious stuff like pharmacology and being a research scientist. In terms of pay for graduate jobs it looks like £20,000 to £24,000?
    It also can get you onto loads of masters (which is what I’m planning to do) like the stuff I mentioned above plus loads of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FAO_26)
    Hey guys,

Although I am applying for dentistry one of my options is Pharmacology at UCL . I have just sent off my application. Do you guys know of the job prospects for pharmcology , I have reseached it but not much comes up.

Anyway I am really pleased someone made a thread . Let's keep each other updated!
    Yeah I get the impression that there are lots of jobs you can get from this degree from obviously being a pharmacologist working in a clinical environment or going onto research through a PhD but then there's jobs in things like regulatory affairs/ drug registration (I've spoken to someone who has done incredibly well for themselves through this route) I think some people even go on to do Medicine degree after pharmacology or they do a law degree to go into patent law.

Honestly, the possibilities are endless!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh hello!

Yeah I saw one that someone made last year when I was researching pharmacology and wondered in anyone would make one this year? In the end I just made one myself!
    Ah awesome so we’re applying to a few of the same ones, I’ve just sent mine off just waiting on my tutor to do my reference then it’s gone!
    Oooo wow what am I looking forward to? Honestly all of it really, I suppose just the fact that I’ll be getting to explore something that I’m enjoying at alevel in depth, it’s exciting to think that what we could end up doing could really help people! What about you?
    Ps: we’ll have to let each other know when we get offers and stuff as we are sending ours off at similar times!
    I'm actually super excited to properly combine my chemistry and biology knowledge together! I can't wait for working in fancy university laboratories and getting to meet lecturers who have probably done some really awesome stuff!

What do you think of the UEA course? I'm slightly worried cus I saw it's only been running for 2 years now.

XX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiiHyde)
    Yeah I get the impression that there are lots of jobs you can get from this degree from obviously being a pharmacologist working in a clinical environment or going onto research through a PhD but then there's jobs in things like regulatory affairs/ drug registration (I've spoken to someone who has done incredibly well for themselves through this route) I think some people even go on to do Medicine degree after pharmacology or they do a law degree to go into patent law.

Honestly, the possibilities are endless!
    Thank you so much! It seems like there is so many opportunities for us all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiiHyde)
    Hi!

Omgee I've been waiting for a threat like this to show up!!

I'm planning to send of my application to UCAS by the end of this week and my choices are
    -Bath
    -Kings College London
    - Leeds
    - UEA
    - Nottingham Trent

I'm so excited to get see if I get any offers! What are you looking forward to about pharmacology?

Lii XX

im not too sure but do Leeds invite applicants to pharmacology to an interview? on their website, pharmacology is not one of the courses that require applicants to be invited to an interview. however, this information is only valid for the 2017 entry and hasn't been updated on their website for the 2018 entry. also, reading last year pharmacology thread, some applicants were asked to attend an interview.

well, I'm not too sure and bit confused. can anyone confirm if Leeds invite pharmacology applicants to an interview please?

ReputationRep:
    I’ve got no idea, I’d say your best bet is to contact their admissions team? I don’t think any of the ones I’m applying to do interviews?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

My application was sent yesterday, ekkk, and I’ve already got an acknowledgement from Portsmouth! Hopefully the others will follow suit and then I’ll start getting some offers soon, I’ll keep you updated.
    Anyone else sent off their application yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FAO_26)
    Hey guys,

I've just graduated pharmacology, I interviewed at a few places and the salaries were as follows:

• Research Technician / Assistant - Not necessarily always Pharmacol related, pays anywhere from £18,000 - £27,000 depending on the location of the position. The higher end salaries are usually those who require previous work experience (i.e. internships) or in London.
    • Pharmaceutical sales - Pharmacology's useful here but it depends on what you want to get out of your degree, and you likely could have gotten this position with other life science degrees. Pays anywhere from £20,000 - £25,000 with on-target earnings of £3,000 - 10,000 (some say unlimited but lets be realistic).
    • Animal research study manager (usually graduate programmes) - pays £18,000 - £22,000 during training but much more when completed
    • Clinical Trials Assistant - low level job that carries on to study manager roles, pays £20,000 - £25,000 initially but study management jobs for big pharma companies like GSK can be in excess of £90k
    • Pharmacovigilance/pharmacokinetic quantitive data analyst - usually graduate schemes with training, think the one place I looked at was £25,000

Obviously there are more careers you could entertain, I had an interview for a data analyst role as well which was unrelated to life sciences. The jobs I listed are entry level with a BSc, your salary will reflect your training - so if you do a PhD or an MSc you can expect more money to a point.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'm happy to help. I studied my pharmacology BSc at Newcastle, so if you have any specific questions regarding their course I should be able to help.

Hello everyone! My application was sent yesterday, ekkk, and I’ve already got an acknowledgement from Portsmouth! Hopefully the others will follow suit and then I’ll start getting some offers soon, I’ll keep you updated. Anyone else sent off their application yet?
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uwotuwot)
    Good luck!
    Hello!
    Wow thank you so much for all the info!

ReputationRep:
    Yay I’ve been waiting for a thread like this aha. I haven’t sent off my application yet but my choices currently are:
    -Leeds
    -Manchester
    -Exeter
    -Portsmouth
    -King’s College

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. Glad to know about this. lol

ReputationRep:
    Eeeeek! I got an Acknowledgement email from KCL Bath and UEA and a conditional offer from Nottingham Trent of AAB or unconditional if I make it my firm! Wow that was fast! I only sent of my application 2 days ago!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.