Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would a foundation year in business help me get on to a business apprenticeship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hear me out. Sounds stupid... doing a year in business at uni to then go onto an apprenticeship. Surely i should just continue at uni or leave?
    But... I'm already at uni doing another foundation year subject with the option of switching (it's still early). The way i see it... business management for 4 years (that's including the foundation year) is not worth the money nor is it at a good university. I'd like to do an apprenticeship instead for a few reasons (won't list them don't want to make this TLDR. My A levels are crap though CDE... so i can't imagine myself getting on anything good. Would a first or 2:1 on a business foundation year help me out in terms of getting onto a decent scheme... I've heard it is competitive.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James385)
    Hear me out. Sounds stupid... doing a year in business at uni to then go onto an apprenticeship. Surely i should just continue at uni or leave?
    But... I'm already at uni doing another foundation year subject with the option of switching (it's still early). The way i see it... business management for 4 years (that's including the foundation year) is not worth the money nor is it at a good university. I'd like to do an apprenticeship instead for a few reasons (won't list them don't want to make this TLDR. My A levels are crap though CDE... so i can't imagine myself getting on anything good. Would a first or 2:1 on a business foundation year help me out in terms of getting onto a decent scheme... I've heard it is competitive.
    Different apprenticeships have different requirements, so it's impossible to say that it definitely will or won't. Some apprenticeships are looking more for passion and interest in the subject, which your foundation year would definitely help to demonstrate. Other apprenticeships will only be interested in A Level grades. If you're considering a particular apprenticeship, contact them and ask their opinion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.