Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm self studying biology, so I don't really have a teacher or a tutor to ask this from.
    In the biology marking schemes, at least for the IAL ones ive done so far, there seems to be more points in the answer than the allocated marks, so should i get all the points or just the number of points corresponding to the mark correct, to get the full mark?
    eg:
    http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20A-level.pdf
    Any help is appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RizK)
    I'm self studying biology, so I don't really have a teacher or a tutor to ask this from.
    In the biology marking schemes, at least for the IAL ones ive done so far, there seems to be more points in the answer than the allocated marks, so should i get all the points or just the number of points corresponding to the mark correct, to get the full mark?
    eg:
    http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20A-level.pdf
    Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    The reason there are more points is because there are multiple options. Put as many as they ask for in a question. The others are because some people will put perfectly valid answers that are slightly different.

E.g. if you were asked to "name one factor that affects photosynthesis". You could say TEMPERATURE, CO2 CONCENTRATION, LIGHT INTENSITY as the main ones. If you say any one, you get the mark, but all the others are correct so they have to put them in the mark scheme.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuentinM)
    The reason there are more points is because there are multiple options. Put as many as they ask for in a question. The others are because some people will put perfectly valid answers that are slightly different.

E.g. if you were asked to "name one factor that affects photosynthesis". You could say TEMPERATURE, CO2 CONCENTRATION, LIGHT INTENSITY as the main ones. If you say any one, you get the mark, but all the others are correct so they have to put them in the mark scheme.
    so... as many points as the allocated marks?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.