Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I know this is quite specific information but does anyone have any idea about:

What are the average GCSE grades for an applicant to Classical Archaeology and Ancient History?
    What about successful applicants?

ReputationRep:
    Because its a less popular course, less information is available. If you really want to find out, make a freedom of information request (https://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/councilsec/compliance/foi/).

On average, I think some schools prefer their Oxbridge candidates to have 6+ GCSE A*s. But remember, the system is personalised.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a different course, but for history stats last year were as follows:

> Avg. for all applicants (no. of A*s at GCSE): 6.28
    > Avg. for summoned applicants: 7.12
    > Avg. for placed applicants: 7.86

ReputationRep:
    Wondering the same thing. But for comparison my GCSEs were 1 A*, 2As, 5Bs and a C. Not bad but definitely not fantastic/typical for Oxbridge. But I got an A at AS Ancient History and I'm predicted A*A*A with an A* in EPQ, hence why I'm applying.
    I'm also applying to St John's
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenFillet2.0)
    I know it's a different course, but for history stats last year were as follows:

> Avg. for all applicants (no. of A*s at GCSE): 6.28
    > Avg. for summoned applicants: 7.12
    > Avg. for placed applicants: 7.86
    Bear in mind History is considerably more popular and less "niche" than CAAH, so there is probably a more volatility in the averages for a CAAH applicants.

The submitted written works will probably be important in shortlisting, and may help ameliorate lower GCSE profiles. However it does note on the department website that "poor results in official examinations, especially GCSE" can be a criteria for disqualification from the shortlist. Exactly what and how they define "poor results" however is difficult to say, so...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.