Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm attempting to narrow down my uni choices, but the thing is, I'm really struggling to decide on my 'final 5'. I live in London & want to get out, so UAL is out of the question & I'm really liking the idea of being near the beach/sea, so the current contenders are Falmouth, Plymouth College of Art, AUB & Portsmouth. I've looked at Brighton, but it doesn't appeal to me in terms of workspace & accommodation, though I'm considering applying there anyway because I do like the area & rep.

Where are you all looking at & why?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbbh)
    I'm attempting to narrow down my uni choices, but the thing is, I'm really struggling to decide on my 'final 5'. I live in London & want to get out, so UAL is out of the question & I'm really liking the idea of being near the beach, so the current contenders are Falmouth, Plymouth College of Art, AUB & Portsmouth. I've looked at Brighton, but it doesn't appeal to me in terms of workspace & accommodation, though I'm considering applying there anyway because I do like the area & rep.

Where are you all looking at & why?
    Portsmouth is a bit of an odd choice there compared to your other choices - and it's definitely not near the beach

Have you looked at UWE? Or Norwich and Anglia Ruskin?

Or if you're willing to travel further afield then Edinburgh or Dundee are worth a look (although because they're capped on places they're more difficult to get an offer from).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Portsmouth is a bit of an odd choice there compared to your other choices - and it's definitely not near the beach

Have you looked at UWE? Or Norwich and Anglia Ruskin?

Or if you're willing to travel further afield then Edinburgh or Dundee are worth a look (although because they're capped on places they're more difficult to get an offer from).
    Portsmouth was suggested to me by my brother & also a friend who goes there - I'm going to the open day tomorrow to get a feel for it (it's not my first choice, kind of a back-up). By beach I more mean the sea/an expanse of water, doesn't have to be a beach.

I did take a look at those three:
    UWE: Looks really good, the only negative is the price for accommodation which seriously puts me off (I'm really money-conscious)
    NUA: Also amazing, but again accommodation costs...I do want an ensuite - I went to uni last year for a few months and shared a bathroom so from experience I would rather my own this time
    Anglia Ruskin: I'm actually currently looking at it. Although I'd prefer to go to an arts-based uni this is a contender

I get really anxious about money (as you can probably pick up on) and I don't really want that worry at uni. Although I'll be saving from now until I leave, I still don't want to spend 7k on accommodation at one uni when I could've been just as happy at another for significantly less.

I'd rather not go too far North, so I didn't look at those. Thank you for the help!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbbh)
    Portsmouth was suggested to me by my brother & also a friend who goes there - I'm going to the open day tomorrow to get a feel for it (it's not my first choice, kind of a back-up). By beach I more mean the sea/an expanse of water, doesn't have to be a beach.

I did take a look at those three:
    UWE: Looks really good, the only negative is the price for accommodation which seriously puts me off (I'm really money-conscious)
    NUA: Also amazing, but again accommodation costs...I do want an ensuite - I went to uni last year for a few months and shared a bathroom so from experience I would rather my own this time
    Anglia Ruskin: I'm actually currently looking at it. Although I'd prefer to go to an arts-based uni this is a contender

I get really anxious about money (as you can probably pick up on) and I don't really want that worry at uni. Although I'll be saving from now until I leave, I still don't want to spend 7k on accommodation at one uni when I could've been just as happy at another for significantly less.

I'd rather not go too far North, so I didn't look at those. Thank you for the help!
    If money is an issue then looking north will save you cash - http://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/illustration/ https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses...d-illustration http://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/study/und...-illustration/ would all have much lower living costs. Or http://hartlepool.ccad.ac.uk/illustr...l-application/

ReputationRep:
    MSA and LAU are outstanding unis, but the distance from London is an issue as I do want to be able to visit home every now and then without having such a long journey as there would be for uni in the North. I am still very tempted though, particularly by MSA. It's so difficult to choose and I really can't afford visiting them all.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbbh)
    MSA and LAU are outstanding unis, but the distance from London is an issue as I do want to be able to visit home every now and then without having such a long journey as there would be for uni in the North. I am still very tempted though, particularly by MSA. It's so difficult to choose and I really can't afford visiting them all.
    The travel time is likely similar or less than Falmouth :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The travel time is likely similar or less than Falmouth :yes:
    That makes it all the more tempting...in fact I may apply to MSA instead of Falmouth (I've always been in two minds about Falmouth, it being really out of the way & I don't like the accommodation enough for the distance to not be such an issue). I'm definitely reviewing my choices.

Thank you so much for your help!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbbh)
    That makes it all the more tempting...in fact I may apply to MSA instead of Falmouth (I've always been in two minds about Falmouth, it being really out of the way & I don't like the accommodation enough for the distance to not be such an issue). I'm definitely reviewing my choices.

Thank you so much for your help!
    That’s alright

I’ve stickied this thread so hopefully there’ll be other illustration applicants along as the year goes on .

ReputationRep:
    Update (also to give this a bit of a bump): I've changed my choices to UWE (Bristol), NUA (Norwich), Portsmouth, Anglia Ruskin and AUB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.