Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I want to apply for Computer science at university. However when looking at the entry requirement i only see Extended diploma and I do a national diploma which is equivalent to 2 A levels and a cambridge technicals it course

Could someone please help me out.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumWilson423)
    Hi I want to apply for Computer science at university. However when looking at the entry requirement i only see Extended diploma and I do a national diploma which is equivalent to 2 A levels and a cambridge technicals it course

Could someone please help me out.
    Hi CallumWilson423

The best thing to do would be to contact the university to are applying for to check they accept these qualifications. Do they only specify qualifications and grades on their website in the entry requirements or to they include UCAS tariff points?

If they include UCAS tariff points, you can use the calculator on the UCAS website to check if you meet the points requirements: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

Hope this helps!

Laura
    Bucks New University

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucks New University)
    Hi CallumWilson423

The best thing to do would be to contact the university to are applying for to check they accept these qualifications. Do they only specify qualifications and grades on their website in the entry requirements or to they include UCAS tariff points?

If they include UCAS tariff points, you can use the calculator on the UCAS website to check if you meet the points requirements: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

Hope this helps!

Laura
    Bucks New University
    Hi thanks for the response I will now start to contact the university. Basically looking at Lancaster university it had triple D and doesn't day anything about extended diploma or national diploma just says btec. Whereas Royal Holloway says that u need an a level with a national diploma however I did 3 btec.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for the response I will now start to contact the university. Basically looking at Lancaster university it had triple D and doesn't day anything about extended diploma or national diploma just says btec. Whereas Royal Holloway says that u need an a level with a national diploma however I did 3 btec.
    Yes, I'd definitely recommend contacting the universities individually, as like you say you are taking a mixture of qualifications. At Bucks we look at UCAS tariff scores so as long as you meet that score then you could achieve a mixture of grades and qualifications. But I know some universities just make offers based on specific grades.

It could be worth posting on their university forums and I'm sure their admissions team will help!

Good luck!

Laura
    Bucks New University

ReputationRep:
    So you're doing the Extended diploma? Royal Holloway don't require an extra A level, I have just graduated from there in Comp Sci and I did a BTEC Extended diploma

The BTEC National Diploma is worth 2 A levels so thats why you need an extra A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    So you're doing the Extended diploma? Royal Holloway don't require an extra A level, I have just graduated from there in Comp Sci and I did a BTEC Extended diploma

The BTEC National Diploma is worth 2 A levels so thats why you need an extra A level
    I'm doing the BTEC national diploma, along with a OCR Cambridge Technical IT certificate which is equivalent to 1 A-Level but i'm not sure if they would accept be with that subject or would those together be considered as an extended diploma.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the BTEC national diploma, along with a OCR Cambridge Technical IT certificate which is equivalent to 1 A-Level but i'm not sure if they would accept be with that subject or would those together be considered as an extended diploma.
    What subject is the National Diploma?

Hmm you'll have to email them as the OCR course isn't listed.

Also, go on the BSc Computer Science page and there's also a list of BTEC IT modules that you'll need to be taking 6 of to meet the programming requirement, those modules I believe will be named the same in OCR CTEC

ReputationRep:
    What subject is the National Diploma?

Hmm you'll have to email them as the OCR course isn't listed.

Also, go on the BSc Computer Science page and there's also a list of BTEC IT modules that you'll need to be taking 6 of to meet the programming requirement
    Business, seeing as it is only IT and we havent done anything to do with programming i guess Royal Holloway is not an option for me. Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Business, seeing as it is only IT and we havent done anything to do with programming i guess Royal Holloway is not an option for me. Thanks for your help I appreciate it.
    Ahh yeah that might be a problem, as for A levels you need either Maths, Physics or Computing A level, for the BTEC IT i guess it needs to be equivalent to A level Computing and that's what you get if you've done 6 of the relevant modules, its worth checking out the list though as they're not all programming and you might have done a couple which would look good if you email the admissions

They also have a new course in the department which is basically joint Media and Computer Science (I can't remember the actual name) which I reckon you would be able to get on to, however, check out the modules first and look what Computer Science modules you can pick, I think it work like if you pick more Comp Sci then you get a BSc but if you pick more Media you get a BA

ReputationRep:
    https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/cour...ology-bsc.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yeah that might be a problem, as for A levels you need either Maths, Physics or Computing A level, for the BTEC IT i guess it needs to be equivalent to A level Computing and that's what you get if you've done 6 of the relevant modules, its worth checking out the list though as they're not all programming and you might have done a couple which would look good if you email the admissions

They also have a new course in the department which is basically joint Media and Computer Science (I can't remember the actual name) which I reckon you would be able to get on to, however, check out the modules first and look what Computer Science modules you can pick, I think it work like if you pick more Comp Sci then you get a BSc but if you pick more Media you get a BA
    Thanks for the help I will look into it. I'm probably more interested just doing computer science and that it self so will just look for other unis that offer what I do but atm it's a bit hard to find them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.